The Microsoft Component Installer for Windows SDK will provide a mechanism for developers to pack common redistributable runtime components prepating them for installation on an end user's computer.
Developers building applications for Windows often need to ensure that runtime components are installed on the destination operating system in order to run correctly.
With this SDK, developers can streamline the installation process and include this installer with their own installation package to ensure the pre-requisite components are in place.
The SDK provides support for installing any or all of the following components:
· Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0
· Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
· Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8
· Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and language packs
· Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
· Microsoft Visual J# runtime and language packs
· Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x86) and language packs
· Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 runtime and language packs
· Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (December 2005 )
· Microsoft Report Viewer 2005 redistributable and language packs
· Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System redistributable and language packs
· Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition redistributable
The resulting user experience is a small application they can download and run (or run from a CD).
It provides the user with a simple wizard user interface that has details on the components that are needed and on the progress of the installation. The customer experience is already localized for over 20 Windows languages and will auto-detect the system locale at launch and will adjust its language as appropriate.
The following languages are supported (If the language on the computer does not match any of these, the English user interface will be presented): Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Danish, German, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Iberian), Russian, Swedish and Turkish.
· Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows XP