Softpedia Editor's Review for ICY Hexplorer
Hexadecimal file editor that offers many features
Written by Mihaela Citea on September 20th, 2012
ICY Hexplorer is a handy and reliable hex editor that offers you many tools for modifying file data. Providing users with a simple interface, this application can help you view and edit hexadecimal data of files of any type.
All you have to do is select the desired file using either the file browser or the 'drag and drop' function. The software shows it in hex view together with text interpretation of bytes in two separate panes.
Many features are included, such as color schemes for interpreting bytes visually, string highlighting capability, as well as a structure library viewer and creator.
The selected byte strings are highlighted in order to ease the navigation. Furthermore, you can use the find and replace function, the navigator or the 'Go To' option to easily identify certain addresses or repeating patterns.
In addition, it supports exporting or importing a wide variety of binary files, including ASCII, XXDP, Intel Hex, Motorola S-Record, SPASM and more.
The hex code can be edited by inserting external texts, pasting HEX chains or applying OR / AND / negations. Plus, you can increment or decrement, flip or swap bytes and use the 'Byte Occurrence' tool to view the percentages in which every byte appears.
ICY Hexplorer comes with a disassemble tool, unlimited undo level and a pixel viewer that you can use to view binaries in bitmap form. Calculating checksums and CRC values, as well as file encryption are other advantages that this application brings you. Plus, it features a fast pseudo number generator and it enables you to record macro scripts for automating common tasks.
As for its appearance, the application allows a high level of customization. From colors and fonts, to column display or the toolbar, you can choose the options that better suit your preferences.
ICY Hexplorer is an easy to use data editing software that comes bundled with many features, while keeping the first-time user in mind.
ICY Hexplorer description
Here are some key features of "ICY Hexplorer":
· Six color schemes to interpret bytes visually. Every of them tryies to fit some functionality (for example text analyzing) and user preferences.
· Unlimited undo
· x86 disassembler
· Import and export to 20 different formats of binary files, including Intel Hex, Motorola S-Record, Atmel standard etc.
· Ability to find repeating patterns in data
· Pixel viewer to visualise binaries as bitmaps
· Filter text from binary data
· Very fast Boyer-Moore find algorithm
· Highlights selected byte strings in data to ease navigation through it
· Create structures of simple data types like integers or floating point numbers to better interpret and faster edit data
· Very fast pseudo random number generator
· Allows recording macro scripts to automate tasks