Softpedia Editor's Review for SynWrite
A code editor to help you with your work
Written by Gabriela Vatu on March 16th, 2013
Writing programs is a highly complicated process for most people and even to those who make a living out of it. SynWrite is a small tool that was designed in the hopes of easing the job for everyone involved.
The program has a clean interface that should be easy to handle even by those who are only just starting to work with this type of software.
There are several features included in this program that are sure to make the life easier for those that are involved in creating apps. For instance, the program’s source codes appear in a tree-like structure, which means that you can easily access the areas that are most important, such as the header and body areas of the text.
It's also possible to highlight areas of the text so they can be more visible and thus, easy to spot when they need to be edited. The program also supports code folding, which allows you to selectively hide and display sections of the file as a part of routine edit operations. Thus, you can view only the sections of the text that are relevant at a given time.
The program comes with an extensive search tool that enables users to find certain regions of the text with great ease. The queries can be case sensitive, include special characters or regular expressions.
The bottom line is that SynWrite is a nice program that can be quite useful. Less experienced individuals shouldn’t have any troubles while installing or customizing this tool, thanks to its intuitive layout.
Here are some key features of "SynWrite":
· Syntax highlighting for lots of languages
· Fully customizable highlightings
· Code folding
· Support for almost all encodings
· Tree structure view for source code
· Project management
· Document mini-map
· Clipboard history
· Tools output
· Search results
· Auto-closing of tags/brackets
· Code templates
· SmartTagTabbing feature
· SyncEditing feature to edit identical identifiers
· Zen Coding support (HTML + CSS + XSL high speed coding engine)
· Color preview + Color picker
· Inserting of image tag
· Search, replace with regular expressions
· Search, replace in multiple files
· External tools support (capture of console output, errors navigation)
· Strings extraction feature
· Customizable hotkeys
· Keyboard macros
· Spell checking
· File sessions
· Plugin for file manager "Total Commander"
· Multilingual user interface
· Integrated HTML Tidy library
· Export to RTF/HTML with syntax highlighting
· Portable mode
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· "Find in files" dialog: field "File masks to exclude"
· lexer "WSH script"
· lexer "Jade" (template engine)
· lexers moved into "Readme\MoreLexers.rar": ActionScript, Cobol, ColdFusion, IDL files, Matlab, Smalltalk, Verilog, VHDL
· auto-closing of brackets/quotes: can work with selection too (seen in Sublime)
· some dialogs: handling of Ctrl+BkSp (delete last word) in edit fields
· command "Open filename selected in editor"
· hidden option in Syn.ini: [Setup] MarkDeletedModified=1
· fixes (forum)