D-Fend Reloaded was developed as an accessible graphical environment for DOSBox. DOSBox emulates a complete computer including the DOS commandline and allows to run nearly all the old DOS based games on modern hardware with any of the newer Windows versions.
With DOSBox there is no need to worry about memory managers or free conventional RAM, but the setup of DOSBox is still a bit complicated. The configuration of DOSBox via text-based setup files might be difficult for beginners.
D-Fend Reloaded may help and create these files for you. Additionally the D-Fend Reloaded installation package contains DOSBox (including all language files currently available), so there is only one installation to be run and no need to link D-Fend Reloaded with DOSBox manually.
Here are some key features of "D-Fend Reloaded":
· The D-Fend Reloaded installer provides everything you need to run old DOS games (D-Fend Reloaded GUI, DOSBox, language files, FreeDos commandline tools). During the first start of D-Fend Reloaded everything is set up automatically.
Searching and sorting games:
· D-Fend Reloaded contains many service tools to keep the overview even in large game archives. Games can be filtered by categories like genre and year of publication, you can also conduct find-as-you-type searches. For every game you can setup a data folder for manuals etc.
Creating new profiles:
· Besides using the normal profile editor, new profiles may be added by the profile wizard. Additionally templates for different game types are integrated which need only the name and the path of the game as input.
· D-Fend Reloaded collects all information regarding a certain program in its profile (program directory, screenshot directory, manual directory, icon file etc.). Therefore complete games may be deinstalled using D-Fend Reloaded and games can be copied from one installation to another. D-Fend Reloaded is also able to build installer packes to transfer games to other computers. (To use this feature you need NSIS.) Additionally complete games can be packed to zip and 7z files by the builtin zip support for archiving or transfering.
· DOSBox and D-Fend Reloaded are multilingual. The installer package contains all currently available language files. D-Fend Reloaded automatically sets up the DOSBox keyboard layout which refers to the language choosen for D-Fend Reloaded.
· D-Fend Reloaded can read D-Fend and DBFrondend config files. D-Fend Reloaded is completely compatible with Windows Vista (in particular it runs without admin rights).
· D-Fend Reloaded may be installed in a portable operation mode (for USB-Sticks etc.).
· Besides DOSBox you can also use ScummVM as emulator.
· Also Windows-based games can be managed in D-Fend Reloaded.
· With the integrated Bochs-FAT-Image-Creator you may create floppy and harddisk images to be used with DOSBox directly from the D-Fend Reloaded GUI.
· D-Fend Reloaded can create images from CDs and floppy disks which can be used as drives in DOSBox.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Updated DOSZip from 2.35 to 2.44.
· The mobygames data read can read the game description now, too.
· Added an option to disable file checksums for multiple profiles at once to the multiple profiles editor.
· New tree structure filter section "Recently started" will list the last 50 games started.
· Added a new "Recently started" section to the tray area D-Fend Reloaded icon context menu listing the last 10 started games.
· Improved the mount and imgmount command interpreter which is used to scan the [autoexec] sections of imported conf files.
· [Fix] Starting programs from Windows game profiles that need admin rights did not work.
· [Fix] When configuration additional program files only the first 20 entries will be stored.
· [Fix] The game wizard will setup a screenshots folder for Windows games now, too.
· [Fix] The function to get the current screensaver status (for disabling the screensaver as long DOSBox is running) could rise an exception.
· [Fix] Downloading cover images from mobygames failed whe...