Python's IDLE was designed in order to provide an environment with an elegant minimalism that allows you to write Python code.
It is accessible to those beginning programming in addition to being useful to advanced programmers.
IdleX provides some additional functionality to IDLE and transforms it into a more useful tool for academic research and development as well as exploratory programming.
Here are some key features of "IdleX":
· Terminal-like behavior for Shell. Cursor stays in prompt and up/down arrow keys navigate the command history.
· Matplotlib support for interactive figures when using the subprocess.
· Interactive GUI development for Tkinter, GTK, Qt, Qt4, PySide, wxPython
· Tabbed editor windows with drag'n'drop reordering.
· SubCodes, similar to MATLAB cell mode and Sagemath cells, for quick code prototyping without restarting the shell.
· Execute highlighted code or a single line from the editor.
· Persistent history of Shell commands across sessions.
· Integrated reindent.py support.
· Improved code navigation with Code Browser.
· Cython editing and execution support.
· Horizontal scroll bar for the editor.
· Line numbers for the editor.
· Clear Shell Window without restarting.
· Simple interface for enabling/disabling extensions.
· SearchBar, Squeezer, and IDLE2HTML included.
· Intelligent Paste from Shell. (remove >>> prompts)
· Highlight tabs (\t) in editor to help fix tab/space issues.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Allows pasting of many statements into the shell for execution.
· Shows doc string and help information for an object
· Under "Help" menu as "Documentation Viewer"
· Refactored extension loader to prevent import conflicts
· IdleX reorganized as a module in "idlexlib"
· Hovering over tab shifters now scrolls the tabs.
· Right-click context menu now shows all tabs directly.
· Tool-tip's right edge guaranteed to stay on screen. (long path problem)
· Button font now matches shell font
· Scroll-wheel buttons pass through to text widget
· Remove ANSI terminal color codes from squeezed text
· Ctrl+C now interrupts shell from editor
· BUGFIX: Raised highlight coloring above subcode coloring
· Highlighting of subcode markers now works properly
· BUGFIX: SubCode syntax error checking handles ValueError
· Now displays above the Code Context window