GPS Utility is an easy-to-use application that enables you to easily manage and manipulate GPS information.
You can use it to transfer data to/from a GPS receiver and store the data in PC files in one of several text formats.
The program converts between different map datums and many coordinate formats (Lat/Long, UTM/UPS, country grids etc.). Information can be filtered in various ways and waypoints sorted according to specified criteria. Route and track statistics are available and can be transferred into other programs for analysis (i.e. spreadsheet programs).
By using a scanned or digital bitmap you can digitize waypoints, routes and tracks. You can plot your GPS information as a map and add map annotations in text or image form.
GPS Utility can also be set to gather the current position at regular time intervals and to show the position on a moving map display. An interface monitor is available for diagnostic purposes such as logging NMEA sentences. You can also show the current position, time, speed, course on the Position Console.
GPS Utility is particularly useful for editing and splicing together track and route segments. You can use it to convert tracks into a route and set of waypoints or convert Routes into tracks. Search patterns can be generated in either track or route/waypoint forms.
Other tools allow you to analyse and average the GPS information. Users will have the possibility to export routes as Route cards and use them at a later time.
Here are some key features of "GPS Utility":
· Transfer data between a GPS Receiver and a PC
· Manage your data
· Exchange data with other GPS information sources
· GPSU supports a wide range of datums and grids and so you can convert your data between them easily (e.g. UTM, British Grid, Lat/Long, Maidenhead and so on).
· Draw and print maps of the raw GPS data or superimpose this upon a scanned map image.
· Produce reports of your data either in tabular form or graphically e.g. Route cards, Track analysis, Area calculations, Altitude profiles.
· This takes a GPS track recording and correlates the timestamps with the timestamps of digital photographs, thereby producing the coordinates of where the photo was taken.
· Convert Waypoints/Routes to tracks or vice versa.
· UPS (Universal Polar Stereographic) projection is not supported in a number of the tools (Filter, Sort and Mapping). The use of coordinates north of N84 degrees or south of S80 may cause problems.
· The Filter and Sort tools do not support the British Grid in the major squares (A,E,F,K,L,P,Q,U,V and Z). These are the extreme westerly and easterly squares and well outside the British Islands.
· The unregistered version of GPS Utility does not support "wrap around" from W180 degrees to E180 degrees. Use of GPS Utility with coordinates on both sides of this meridian will cause problems with the Filter, Sort and Mapping tools.
· Dates which have a 2 digit year are assumed to be in the range 1980-2079.
· Bitmaps which contain only Greyscale colors cause a problem for GPS Utility in that the colour palette does not contain the colors needed by GPS Utility to draw waypoints, tracks and routes. To overcome this problem there is a workaround
· Great Circle (Lat/Long) Distances are calculated assuming the FAI sphere whist Grid distances are calculated using a pythagorian triangle
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Automatic restart Position Console after Disconnect->Connect for NMEA mode
· Changed format of heartrate in GPX exported files to comply with Garmin Basecamp
· Put Save As Overlay button into the Map Calibration dialog
· Changed the Generate Waypoint grid to give alphabetic/numeric IDs
· Do not give the reduced precision warning message on File|SaveAs...
· Changed the Waypoint selection dialog to echo coordinate and comment and give less whitespace
· Several changes to TZD file import including support for Date/Time stamp
· Some fixes to regression bugs in generating altitude from DEM
· Corrected a bug in GPX file import so as to deal with Anquet files
· Import depth data from Lowrance USR files