States of Matter: Basics is a simple and easy-to-use Java simulation that has been designed to allow you to watch different types of molecules form a solid, liquid, or gas.
Change the temperature or volume of a container and see a pressure-temperature diagram respond in real time. Relate the interaction potential to the forces between molecules.
Here are some key features of "States of Matter: Basics":
· Describe characteristics of three states of matter: solid, liquid and gas.
· Predict how varying the temperature or pressure changes the behavior of particles.
· Compare particles in the three different phases.
· Explain freezing and melting with molecular level detail.
· Recognize that different substances have different properties, including melting, freezing and boiling temperatures.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Redeploying to production server with several important fixes and enhancements.
· Modified phase diagram behavior to be smoother and to always track to the phase interface.
· Adjusted the set point for liquid temperature so that water is between 0 and 100 degrees C when set to the liquid state.
· Modified the internal model temperatures used in order to make water look like it is starting to freeze when at 0 degrees C.
· Fixed an issue where the substances would look strange if users were changing state when the sim was paused.