Softpedia Editor's Review for Advanced PDF Password Recovery Pro
Recovers user and owner passwords to protected Adobe Acrobat PDF files
Written by Sorin Cirneala on November 15th, 2011
The Portable Document Format (also known as PDF) is one of the most common and elegant ways of storing text documents and books and sharing them with other people over the Internet.
When you use with different passwords to publish a large of number documents you might forget or misplace some of them. For such situations you can try Advanced PDF Password Recovery Pro, an app built to get you the protective countersign, as its name suggests so clearly.
The application is designed to try every possible password until the document opens; this kind of action is known as “brute force” approach. It may take some time but the file gets opened. You can help the program and limit the number of combinations by specifying the type of characters (caps, small, digits, special symbols) or the length of the password as a limit.
Another way to help narrow down the list of potential passwords is to specify a pattern or a mask such as “Internet???” or “I???????526” if you know a part of the password. If you have specific words that you use to create a password, the program features a Dictionary method that requires a text file and will create all possible combinations.
Based on the criteria and the hints that you provided and the computer configuration Advanced PDF Password Recovery Pro can do a test run to estimate the time it takes to find the magic formula. It can run in the background auto-saving the progress and you can set the priority options that will allow you to continue your work.
This powerful program comes with some limitations that can be removed by purchasing a license from the developer's website. The unregistered version of the program allows you to recover passwords up to four digits and will decrypt only the first 10% of the document's pages, replacing the other pages with blank ones.
Advanced PDF Password Recovery Pro description
Here are some key features of "Advanced PDF Password Recovery Pro":
· Supports all versions of Adobe Acrobat, including Acrobat X
· Supports GPU acceleration
· Supports all third-party products producing PDF files
· Instantly unlocks PDF documents with printing, copying and editing restrictions
· Removes “owner” and “user” passwords
· Recovers passwords to open
· Supports 40-bit and 128-bit RC4 encryption as well as 128-bit and 256-bit AES encryption
· Patented Thunder Tables® technology recovers 40-bit passwords in a matter of minutes
· Dictionary and brute-force attacks with user-defined masks and advanced templates
· Three editions to satisfy the most demanding and savvy customers
· Optionally removes JScript code, form fields and digital signatures
· Batch mode allows automatic processing of multiple files
· Highly optimized low-level code optimized for modern multi-core CPUs
· About 6 megabytes of free space on hard disk
· PDF files protected using Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology or 3rd party plugins such as FileOpen cannot be decrypted.
· Brute-force attack is effective for short passwords only, usually up to 7-8 chars. Recovering longer ones will take too much time (months, years) even on a very fast computer.
· The program tries to process corrupted files (and on success, shows the number of non-critical errors ignored), but sometimes, it is not possible.