File encryption program that uses the AES algorithm with 128-bit keys
Since this is an ad-supported product, you should be careful when installing AxCrypt. It offers to download a third-party component that it doesn't need in order to work properly.
The tool places itself in the Explorer context menu, so you can access it by right-clicking a file or folder.
So, you can encrypt files by entering a passphrase and optionally a key-file, as well as set AxCrypt to remember this setting for decryption and to use it as default for encryption.
In addition, you can encrypt a copy of a file and optionally convert it to the EXE format, clear the passphrase memory, create a key-file (in the TXT format), as well as shred and delete a file. You can also change the interface language.
After encryption is applied to files, they receive an "AXX" format (appended to the file name), along with the AxCrypt icon. So, other users cannot even view the thumbnails of your files (which is a great solution in case of images, for instance).
AxCrypt can take a long while to encrypt a file (depending on its size) but it uses a very low amount of system CPU and resources. However, other processes clearly run slower during this time.
No errors have occurred during our tests. Unfortunately, AxCrypt doesn't support drive encryption and there is no help file available. Otherwise, we strongly recommend it to all users.
Reviewed by Elena Opris, last updated on January 16th, 2014
our in-depth analysis
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in version 1.7.2867
- This is a major refactorisation of the build and the dependency handling.
- We now fully support building AxCrypt with 100% free tools such as Visual C++ Express 2010, MSBuild and WiX.
- There is also support for a single installer for 32-bit and 64-bit both.
- Installation recommendations by OpenCandy are supported by the installer which are fully optional.
Application descriptionFile encryption using the AES algorithm with 128-bit keys. It combines strong symmetric encryption with compression an...
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
- Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function