BestCrypt Volume Encryption description
A new class of volume encryption software
BestCrypt Volume Encryption is a comprehensive and reliable software for encrypting all data from your drives.
BestCrypt Volume Encryption software opens a new class of Volume Encryption products. With this software users can encrypt old MS-DOS style disk partitions as well as modern volumes residing on a number of physical disk devices, for example Spanned, Striped, Mirrored or RAID-5 volumes.
Here are some key features of "BestCrypt Volume Encryption":
Encrypts all types of volumes residing on fixed and removable disks:
· Simple volume, i.e. volume consisting of one disk partition.
· Mount point - volume mounted as a sub-folder on NTFS-formatted volume.
· Multipartition volume, i.e. volume consisting of several disk partitions
· Spanned volumes;
· Mirrored volumes;
· Striped volumes;
· RAID-5 volumes.
BestCrypt Volume Encryption allows encrypting data with many strong encryption algorithms. Every algorithm is implemented with the largest possible key size defined in the algorithm's specification:
· AES (Rijndael) - 256-bit key.
· RC6 - 256-bit key.
· Serpent - 256-bit key.
· Twofish - 256-bit key.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption utilizes XTS Encryption Mode with all encryption algorithms listed above. XTS Mode is designed specifically for applications working on the disk sector level and is more secure than other popular modes used previously, such as LRW or CBC mode.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption can encrypt the volume from which Windows boots from, as well as the volume where Windows stores its system files (including Registry, Page file and Hibernate file). Initial encryption is transparent both for running applications and for Windows system modules.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption performs Computer Pre-Boot Authentication if the system or boot volume/partition is encrypted -- which means that BestCrypt Volume Encryption loads before operating system and allows the computer to boot only after entering a proper password.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption provides an easy way to customize Pre-Boot Authentication texts appearing when the user is required to enter password. This feature allows displaying additional hints when the user is being prompted to enter a password and even hides the fact that pre-boot authentication is running.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption supports hardware tokens Aladdin eToken R2 and PRO as a secure hardware storage for encryption keys. With hardware token users get two levels of protection for encrypted data, because in addition to a password it is necessary to connect a small hardware token where the encryption key is stored.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption provides Secure Hibernating. If a user encrypts the volume where Windows stores the Hibernate File, BestCrypt Volume Encryption encrypts all write operations when Windows goes into Hibernate state and decrypts read operations when the computer wakes up from Hibernate state. Since pre-boot authentication is necessary at wake-up time, only the user who knows the proper password (and has hardware token, if used) can run the computer from Hibernate mode. Secure Hibernating is a functionality that must be implemented in BestCrypt Volume Encryption, otherwise all data written at Hibernate time (together with encryption keys) appears on disk in opened decrypted form.
· As well as the Hibernate File, BestCrypt Volume Encryption encrypts Windows Crash Dump Files. Windows writes files in a very special way because when a crash occurs the regular disk write operations cannot be used. Without encrypting Crash Dump Files, the security level of the software is significantly lower because the files can store a snapshot of memory together with encryption keys on disk in opened decrypted form.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption supports a number of rescue functions allowing users to decrypt volumes if a serious disk crash occurs.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption Plugin for BartPE for BartPE bootable CD/DVD is available. The user can boot computer with encrypted volume using the bootable CD/DVD and run BestCrypt Volume Encryption commands directly from the CD/DVD. This functionality can be extremely useful for various recovering purposes.
BestCrypt Volume Encryption is very user-friendly:
· If some folders on encrypted volume are shared for network access, BestCrypt Volume Encryption will automatically restore the shares when the user mounts the volume. The software stores information about shared folders in encrypted form.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption allows optional mounting not system volumes automatically before computer starts loading operating system ("Mount at Boot Time" option).
· The software allows per-user settings for mounting not system volumes when the user logs on ("Mount at Logon" option).
· The software has an option to hide drive letters for volumes that are not mounted. This option allows avoiding accidental formatting of unmounted encrypted volumes.
· BestCrypt Volume Encryption can display contents of physical sectors, relative to physical disk or logical volume. The sectors' data can be saved to a file or restored from a file.
· 10 MB disk space for installation process
· Installed size is 15 MB
· 23-day trial period
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Enterprise Edition: Central management of encryption policy distribution from JCM Console.