Encrypted RunAs is a small tool that is created to make the job of Administrators a little easier being used to run applications or software installations with access rights a standard user does not have.
Why Encrypted RunAs?
When you work with computers you will soon come across software that will not work with limited user rights.
Normally you would have to either add the user to the administrators or Power User group or find why the software requires administrative rights in the first place, this could be due to many reasons ie, trying to access the local machine registry, registering a dll or ocx control etc etc.
With Encrypted RunAs installed, a shortcut to an application can be created that uses an account on the local machine that has administrator rights. Therefore only giving rights that are required for the application to run correctly and not the whole machine.
As an additional security factor, the program uses a CRC fingerprint, to make sure that the program launched is indeed the one that it was intended for, and also verifies the account. Encrypted RunAs also creates files that can be called from logon scripts.
Here are some key features of "Encrypted RunAs":
· Encrypted RunAs gets round this problem by creating encrypted shortcuts to programs that needs to be run with different user credentials, so the password does not need to be given to the user. ERunAs uses >128 bit encryption for the shortcuts, the password is encrypted twice using information located on the computer/domain.
· Unlike other programs of this type, Encrypted RunAs can also check that the original file the shortcut was created for has not been swapped with an unauthorized file (this prevents users from trying to run unauthorized programs with elevated privileges).
· Account Verification
· The program checks the accounts exist on the local machine or domain before allowing the shortcut to be tested, and then saved.
· Shortcut Management
· Shortcuts can easily created on Users Desktops and Programs Menu with Encrypted RunAs, they can also be removed using the Manage Shortcuts tool.
· Network Drive and Printer Re-Mapping
· Any printers or network drives mapped to the current user are re-mapped when the Encrypted RunAs shortcut is run (Encryped RunAs can remap Netware shares).
· Encrypted RunAs Home use
· You can give all your family members Limited Accounts, if a program they have wont run correctly set up an Encrypted RunAs shortcut with details of an account with administrative privileges.
· Encrypted RunAs Business use
· Working in a corporate establishment it soon becomes apparent that some software will not run without adding the domain user to the local Administrator account, this is not an ideal situation. Encrypted RunAs Shortcuts allows only the required rights to be given to the program to run and not the whole computer.
· Only produce shortcut files that are valid for 3 days using local computer or domain accounts
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· FIXED - When remapping drives drive with spaces in UNC, shares were not re-mapped.
· ADDED - Added to links for FREE/PAID Version support.