Softpedia Editor's Review for Comodo Firewall
Firewall with prevention-based protection
Written by Elena Opris on November 5th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Comodo Firewall
Comodo Firewall provides a set of security features that Windows’ firewall lacks. It keeps a better eye on incoming and outgoing connections and blocks malicious attacks, thus keeping your data safe and untouched.
The software can change your DNS servers to Comodo SecureDNS servers and enables "Cloud Based Behavior Analysis" of unrecognized programs from the beginning of the installation.
The installation process is free of complications and the user-interface is organized, yet user-friendly. The Summary section enables you to view the current status of the firewall and that of Defense+. Thanks to Comodo Firewall, you are able to visualize system events and get instant notifications when a malicious threat is infiltrating into your PC.
The firewall allows you to set rules and mark any application as either trusted or unrecognized by you and thus deny access to your system and its resources. More features include the monitoring of active applications that are currently connecting to the Internet, setting the security level, alert frequency level and more advanced firewall options.
Comodo's Defense+ is the place where you can view a log file with any actions taken under its supervision, add, move, purge or remove trusted or unrecognized files, make a list of protected registry entries and blocked files, and more.
One of the most coveted features you can find in this module is the 'Sandbox'. This will allow you to safely run any programs in a secure environment that does not come into contact with your system, very useful for analyzing software behavior.
To sum things up, Comodo firewall is one of the strongest defense shields you can add to your system and certainly a recommended addition to any PC. The solid feature pack will accommodate the needs of all users, even for those with less experience in configuring such tools.
Comodo Firewall description
Here are some key features of "Comodo Firewall":
Default Deny Protection:
· Makes sure that only known PC-safe applications execute
· Stops viruses and malware before they access your computer…so it isn't too late to stop them.
Auto Sandbox Technology:
· The sandbox is a virtual operating environment for untrusted programs – ensuring viruses and other malicious software are completely isolated from the rest of your computer
· Firewall remembers which software is allowed to operate and changes its alerts accordingly.
Cloud based Behavior Analysis:
· Cloud based behavior analysis system detects zero-day malware INSTANTLY.
Cloud based Whitelisting:
· Cloud based whitelisting of trusted publisher easily identifies a safe file and vendor
· Suppresses operations that could interfere with a user’s gaming experience such as alerts, virus database updates or scheduled scans.
· Provides users with the ability to lockdown their PC so only known good applications can run.
· Stay current with the latest protection.
Precise and specific alert system:
· Warnings specify the level and type of possible threat from each source.
Easy to configure:
· Tell the free firewall to scan upon installation and add all current applications to the safe-list.
Detailed summary screen:
· Easily access an at-a-glance snapshot of current security settings
Uncluttered, user-friendly interface:
· Quickly navigate through the various parts of Firewall protection without getting lost
Thorough security "wizards":
· Preset security settings for simple point-and-click setup
Exclusive access to Comodo's "safe-list":
· List of over two million known PC-friendly files and apps. Privdes free firewall protection with the knowledge to let safe files and apps run.
'Training Mode' lets Firewall automatically create 'allow' rules:
· Firewall software learns your trusted programs to minimize alerts
· 128 MB RAM
· 210 MB hard disk space
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· IMPROVED! The desktop widget now has common tasks pane and status pane which shows # of sandboxed apps, unrecognized files etc.
· IMPROVED! Killswitch now shows the traffic per process by default (should be run as admin)
· IMPROVED! Maximize window support added to relevant dialogs such as advanced settings, Quarantined items windows etc.
· IMPROVED! Right click menu has been added to grids in relevant dialogs such as advanced settings
· IMPROVED! Sound effects are used in alert windows to grab users' attention
· IMPROVED! Log viewer has been redesigned to for CIS 6 theme
· IMPROVED! Offline virus database update functionality - Import Virus Database feature has been introduced
· IMPROVED! File submission and lookup operations have been introduced
· IMPROVED! Reboot reminder alert has been introduced to various places
· IMPROVED! Diagnostics download missing files from the Internet
· IMPROVED! Error log in updater is now accessible for more information
· IMPROVED! Web Browser Data Folders file group has b...
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system