Softpedia Editor's Review for Network LookOut Administrator
Allows you to see the screens of other computers over the network
Written by Sorin Cirneala on February 6th, 2013
Network LookOut Administrator allows you to monitor multiple computers from a remote location. It is an administrative tool designed to provide you with screenshots from the other computers at a preset time interval.
The program installs a console on the main computer and a client on the other remote stations. It can be used for monitoring how children, students or other employees use their machine.
Although it has optimal performance on a network connection, the application can be used over a regular Internet or VPN connection. You just need to specify the IP address and have the client installed on the other computer.
The access to the main console and a certain agent is restricted with a password in order to prevent unauthorized users from monitoring the activity. The images of the remote desktop are updated at a preset time interval that can be adjusted to suit your needs.
You can also use the app to run a certain command or to open a webpage on one or more workstations. If you use the application in a company, you can organize the devices into groups in order to perform an action on all group members.
An interesting feature is the ability to take control of a remote computer in order to assist the user in certain activities. While this option can be useful in educational or working environments, its effectiveness greatly depends on the connection type and speed.
During our tests, it required insignificant resources and had no impact on the other programs. The CPU usage depends on the image update speed but you can adjust the image quality to compensate for a low connection speed.
Unfortunately, the information from the remote computer is restricted to the screenshots and does not include a list of running applications or processes. This information can be of great use for administrators and would be a nice addition for the future versions.
Overall, Network LookOut Administrator is a useful tool for monitoring remote computers and providing visual information about the user activity.
Network LookOut Administrator description
Here are some key features of "Network LookOut Administrator":
· Displaying a live picture of a remote computer
· You can take control of a remote computer by controlling its mouse and keyboard
· More remote screens can be displayed in a table
· A remote screen can be zoomed to an actual size
· The name of the connected user is displayed
· Power off, restart, hibernate, suspend remote computers
· Log off desktop users
· Lock workstation
· Control screensaver
· When lower bandwidth is required, the refresh interval can be enlarged
· Automatic connection to a remote computer is optional
· Settings for the agent are encrypted and password protected
· Connection to a remote computer is password protected
· Access to monitoring the console is password protected. If more users use the same computer, different profiles and access passwords can be set
· More monitoring consoles can be connected to the same remote computer
· P II
· 512 Mb Ram
· 31 days trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This release contains support for thin clients.