Softpedia Editor's Review for Folder Lock
The Complete Data Protection, Online Backup and Portable Security Solution
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 14th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Folder Lock
Folder Lock might sound like a pretty good idea for all those looking for a bit of privacy on a Windows machine, as this tool could block unauthorized access to a number of locations. The whole idea is pretty simple: all you have to do is to install the application, set up a master password, select the files and/or folders you want to protect and that’s basically it.
Installing Folder Lock is easy, really easy actually because developers have not included complicated steps to make your life harder. In fact, the entire application relies on simplicity, as you will clearly see when you come to meet the interface which has all the main functions listed in the main window.
Locking files and folders is as simple as 1-2-3 because all you have to do is to pick the desired data and choose a master password. Be cautious with the passphrase, though, because you might be in a bit of a trouble in case you forget it.
The program also enables you to create personal 'Lockers' where you can safely keep important data. Besides these functions, Folder Lock also comes with the possibility to protect USB devices and CD drives, shred files from the hard disk, clean the history of your browser and make a backup online.
We’ve tested them all and found that Folder Lock is pretty much a safe bet. It offers quick encryption and the secure 'Lockers' as well as the locked files and folders cannot be accessed using conventional methods.
There is a minor glitch insofar as the digital pictures are concerned. To be more precise, if someone looks for the locked pictures their thumbnails become visible in the 'Search' window. Also, the information corresponding to each one of them can be viewed.
Overall, thanks to a strong feature pack and given its ease of use, Folder Lock can be a viable alternative for anyone searching for a way to increase the security of their data, so you can give it a try.
Folder Lock description
Here are some key features of "Folder Lock":
· With Folder Lock you can now encrypt your files faster than ever. The program creates Lockers, without taking up much space and grow as you dump files in it. Lockers are encrypted, resizable, portable and ready for backup.
· Folder Lock 7 allows you to optionally backup all files and folders you keep in your encrypted Lockers automatically while you continue to modify or access your encrypted files.
· Users can now achieve true portable security, application level password security, activate stealth options, shred files, make wallets, clean history, auto protect the application and all its files, use virtual keyboard to type passwords to prevent key logging of any kind and can prevent hacking and incorrect password attempts.
True Ease of Use:
· Folder Lock 7 leverages NewSoftware's highly regarded graphical user interface. Existing Folder Lock users will be immediately productive: it's the same great console they already know and love. New users will find Folder Lock 7 remarkably easy to configure and use. Even relative novices can use all features of the product without going through all the jargon and how tos.
· Pentium III
· 512 MB Ram
· 20 MB of hard disk space only
· 1024x768 screen resolution
· 16-bit or higher Color Quality
· Sound Card for sounds
· 5 days or 24 uses trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· In this version, minor changes have been made to the code associated with data encryption, resulting in quicker encryption and decryption of data stored within lockers.