Softpedia Editor's Review for Lock Folder XP
A security tool for locking your files, folders and drives
Written by Bogdan Popa on July 3rd, 2012
Even if you think Windows already comes with loads of security features that can safeguard all the information stored on your computer, an extra layer of protection doesn't hurt. This is especially true when it comes to sensitive data kept in folders that can be viewed by virtually anyone who has access to your mainframe.
For this purpose Lock Folder XP was created, in order to make important data invisible for everyone except you. Basically, what it does is hide files, folder or drives from unauthorized users, but it can also protect them with a password.
The application has a pretty user friendly interface and can be easily controlled straight from the tray by right-clicking its icon or using keyboard shortcuts.
Since there's no limit to the number of files to be protected, you can easily protect large folders, no matter their size. The operation could hardly be easier since all you have to do is drag and drop the files or directories you want to secure.
During our tests we learned that Lock Folder XP has the ability to guard the items it has in custody after you close the app and even in Safe Mode. In order to enjoy those features all you have to do is access the 'Options' menu and activate them with a single click.
All in all, Lock Folder XP is a pretty solid piece of kit for anyone who wants a bit more privacy. It can encrypt and hide files, folders and entire disks with a couple of clicks and even the less experienced users can make the most out of it thanks to its ease of use.
Lock Folder XP description
Here are some key features of "Lock Folder XP":
· Ability to hide files, folders, or drives from all other users (including the administrator).
· Password protection for files, folders, and drives.
· Unlimited number of objects to protect.
· Access restrictions on your data against local network users as well as Internet users.
· Ability to lock your Windows desktop so that users cannot delete, add, or modify the shortcuts and icons on your desktop.
· Password-protected start of Lock Folder XP.
· Ability to managing program from tray.
· Windows Explorer commands for instant folder hiding.
· Automatic protection activation after a set idle time.
· High-level protection.
· High performance rates.
· Multilingual interface.
· Support of FAT, FAT32, and NTFS systems.
· 15 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Updated the program engine with current fixes.
· Program load time dramatically improved.
· Protection of removable drives.