Softpedia Editor's Review for PasswordsPro
Hashes password recovery, password storage and generation
Written by Elena Opris on May 8th, 2013
PasswordsPro is a portable app developed for retrieving, storing and generating hashes passwords. It supports MySQL, MD5, SHA-1, CRC-16, XOR-32 and WPA-PSK PMK hashes, to name but a few.
Since installation is not a prerequisite, you can just extract the archive contents to any location on the hard drive and run the executable file directly.
Plus, you can save the app to a USB flash drive or similar external device, and run it on any computer. Hence, you can keep PasswordsPro with you whenever you're on the move.
More importantly, the app does not work with the Windows Registry section and does not leave behind files on the hard drive after removing it.
The utility is wrapped in a clean and intuitive interface, where you can import text files or hashes into the workspace. So, you can pick the hash type and line format, and find out the item's password and hexadecimal value. Editing these fields is possible through the context menu.
PasswordsPro provides a search function and can be minimized to the system tray area or hidden from the taskbar. When attempting to recover passwords, you have a bunch of attack modes at your disposal, such as preliminary, brute force, mask or hybrid dictionary. Plus, you can manage plugins and export information to a TXT or HTML file after marking some preferences (e.g. export only data for users with found passwords, add custom text before or behind the passwords, pick the columns for export).
Other options can be configured from the Settings panel. For example, you can make the tool automatically run at system startup, specify its priority level, customize the interface and write custom character sets, among others.
PasswordsPro's system resource consumption is minimal, so it doesn't affect the computer's overall performance. It has a good response time to key strokes and mouse events, and works smoothly, without causing any problems. Thanks to its intuitive layout yet rich configuration preferences, PasswordsPro should satisfy all user levels.
Here are some key features of "PasswordsPro":
· 7 types of attacks for recovering passwords to hashes.
· Maximum number of hashes in the licensed version reaches 10 millions.
· Comfortable and quick handling of large hash lists.
· Recovery of passwords of up to 127-characters length long.
· Recovery of passwords for to incomplete hashes of any type.
· Recovery of passwords in Unicode.
· Support for third-party developer's hashing modules.
· Support for using plugins.
· Editing user hashes and other data.
· Adding hashes to the list from a text file using a dialog window or clipboard.
· Copying hashes and found passwords to clipboard.
· Exporting hashes to text or HTML file.
· Searchable list of users with hashes.
· Checking current password against all or selected users on the list.
· Verifying user hashes and their passwords.
· Automatic accumulation of found passwords in the file "PasswordsPro.dic".
· Sorting hash list.
· Exporting hashes with found passwords in the format common for the InsidePro Software forum.
· Support for the "hidden" operating mode – when the program doesn't appear on the taskbar.
· Maximum number of users that can be imported is 1
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Modified interface strings: 152, 153
· Added interface strings: 160, 161