Softpedia Editor's Review for CCleaner
A system optimization tool used by millions across the globe
Written by Bogdan Popa on November 27th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for CCleaner
Note to Softpedia users: We typically update this version a few days after the portable edition, because we prefer to wait for the ad-free version to be released, instead of listing the ad-supported edition. If you wish to be notified as soon as a new build is available, we advise you to follow that listing instead of this one. Thank you for understanding!
CCleaner deals with a rather sensitive segment involved in computer maintenance, namely secure cleaning. It performs an in-depth analysis of almost all areas of your system and detects unused or invalid entries that clog the Windows registry, preventing it from running at its best.
CCleaner features a clean, professional-looking interface split into four areas: Cleaner, Registry, Tools and Options. Aside from the last one, which deals with application settings, each of the other three perform different jobs in various areas of your machine.
The Cleaner section is also divided into two panels: the first one, named Windows, serves for cleaning unnecessary system files (from Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, Recycle Bin, Cache, Memory, etc), while the second one focuses on removing leftovers from third-party software that was or still is installed on your computer.
The Registry module concentrates on repairing issues found in the Windows Registry. After a quick scan, it displays obsolete entries and allows you to fix them, offering to perform backups each time you do it. Usually, it takes more than a scan to identify all of the orphaned items, so you must repeat the operation a few times to make sure that all the issues are detected and eliminated.
Extra functionality is offered by the Tools section. It includes an uninstall manager (lists and allows you to remove installed software), a startup utility (deals with the items that load at startup - boot times can be significantly improved from this panel), a system restore feature (allows you to manage all system restore points) and a drive wiper (securely erases the contents of drives).
Other tweaks can be performed by accessing the Options panel. Here you can build a list of cookies you wish to keep, as well as set various inclusions / exclusions for the scanning process.
To sum up, CCleaner is able to clean your computer of junk files, unused entries from browsers, system files and third-party software. It keeps your computer fit and saves you the time you would spend uncluttering it manually.
Here are some key features of "CCleaner":
· Cleans the following Windows components
· Temporary File Cache
· URL History
· Hidden Index.dat files
· Last download file location
· Temporary File Cache
· URL History
· Download manager
· Recycle Bin
· Windows Temporary files
· Windows Log files
· Recent Documents (on the Start Menu)
· Run history (on the Start Menu)
· Windows XP Search Assistant history
· Windows XP old Prefetch data
· Windows memory dumps after crashes
· Chkdsk file fragments
Advanced Options allow cleaning of:
· Menu Order cache
· Tray Notifications Cache
· Window Size and Location Cache
· User Assist history
· IIS Log Files
· Custom Folders
· As well as cleaning up old files and settings left by standard Windows components, CCleaner also cleans temporary files and recent file lists for many applications. Including: Firefox, Opera, Safari, Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat Reader, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and more
CCleaner uses an advanced Registry Cleaner to check for problems and inconsistencies. It can check the following:
· File Extensions
· ActiveX Controls
· Shared DLLs
· Help File references
· Application Paths
· Invalid Shortcuts and more...
CCleaner was designed from the ground to be safe and secure to use. It has multiple levels of checks in place to ensure that it cannot delete any useful information or documents you may still need. We also certify that it contains no Spyware or Adware:
For the super cautious users we also offer secure file erasing. By overwriting the files before deleting them, making it impossible to recover the data:
· Thanks to the translators, CCleaner is available in 35 different languages: English, Albanian, Arabic, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech/Slovak, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazilian), Romanian, Russian, Serbian Cyrillic, Serbian Latin, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved History cleaning for Internet Explorer 10.
· Optimized Cache cleaning for Internet Explorer 10.
· Improved Download History cleaning for Firefox.
· Improved DOMStore cookie cleaning for Internet Explorer 10.
· Optimized detection of Google Chrome Startup items.
· Improved drive detection in File Finder.
· Improved System and Browser Monitoring (Pro Version).
· Added cleaning for Adobe Fireworks 6.0, Nero 12 Platinum HD Suite, Foxit Reader 6.0, Virtual Clone Drive, PDFCreator and PDF Architect.
· Improved cleaning for Freemake Video Converter.
· Minor bug fixes and GUI improvements.