Softpedia Editor's Review for XL Delete
A secure delete tool that will permanently delete files and folders
Written by Elena Opris on January 30th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for XL Delete
XL Delete is a powerful program that can permanently delete files and folders from your computer. This type of tool is necessary when you want to prevent other users from recovering private information through specialized applications.
The interface of the software tool is clean and intuitive. Importing items into the file/folder list can be done with the help of either the file browser, tree view or 'drag and drop' method. Shredding multiple entries at the same time is possible.
The queue displays the source path, size and type of each item. So, all you have to do is select the wiping type (e.g. DoD-3, Gutmann, Schneier, Random, Quick, Gutmann Subset) and proceed with the shredding procedure.
In addition, you can view file information, remove an item from the list or clear the entire queue, check out logging details, and open the selected items.
First-time users may work with the simple-to-follow wizard to get the job done. Other features of XL Delete let you wipe or lock free space, purge the file table, scan a selected path and schedule tasks. Last but not least, you can clean the system when it comes to the web browsers - Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari (cookies, history, temp and index files), as well as user temp files, Windows temp files and the Clipboard.
The straightforward application quickly finishes a shredding job while using a barely noticeable amount of CPU and system memory. It is very responsive to commands and includes user documentation. To conclude, XL Delete provides some excellent tools for permanently deleting data from your computer.
XL Delete description
Here are some key features of "XL Delete":
· 12 Different wipe methods to choose from including Peter Gutmann's method.
· Define your own custom wipe methods.
· Easy to use wizard. Delete any file or folder in 3 simple steps.
· Shell integration, including integration with the Recycle Bin.
· Ability to wipe all the free space of any selected hard drive.
· Ability to purge old file names from any selected hard drive.
· Ability to securely lock the free space of any selected hard drive.
· Integrated scheduler that allows you to schedule the secure wiping of files and folders.
· Works on memory cards, usb drives, and other types of removable media.
· Drag and drop support for files and folders.
· Cryptographically secure random number generator for maximum protection.
· Ability to force wipe non-system files that are in use.
· Integrated file viewer lets you inspect a file before deleting it.
· Wipe Index.dat files.
· .NET 2.0 framework
· 8 MB Free Space
· 64 MB Of RAM
· 15 days trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved: Better support for cleaning journal files in Chrome 23.0.1271.64 m
· Improved: Main dialog will now appear before any background tasks begin to run. This would cause confusion if a message box showed up before the XL Delete dialog was visible.
· Fixed: Diagnostic tool could show an error message when using the "Reset User Confile File" option.