Softpedia Editor's Review for CyberGhost VPN
Internet Anonymity with your Virtual Private Network, simple and secure
Written by Mihaela Citea on December 22nd, 2012
One of the drawbacks of surfing online is the possibility of losing personal data. VPN service providers strive to solve this issue and one of these is CyberGhost VPN.
Based on the OpenVPN protocol with SSL encryption, it enables you to navigate on the Internet, using a secure virtual private network. Thus, data transfers, user actions and the location address are concealed, allowing you to surf anonymously.
In order to use the application, you need an account. Once you enter your credentials, you can access the main interface that displays your PC's IP address and subscription-related information. To create a private network, simply press the 'Connect to VPN' button.
Although you can choose the server you want to connect to using the 'Server list' section, it is advisable that you let the application select the server for you. You can only access servers located in Germany (for other European servers, you have to choose another payment plan), which are fast and reliable.
Once connected, you can view your new IP address and find your location in the 'Server map' section. Then, you can start using the Internet as you do normally, without worrying that your private data might get stolen.
CyberGhost VPN provides you with a range of subscription plans that differ by bandwidth speed and download limit. For instance, the basic free service only supports up to 1 GB monthly traffic and the connection is interrupted after 6 hours. Thus, it is not recommended for all-day use, but only for shorter Internet sessions.
The software comes with additional features to enhance the connection security. It deletes the browser cookies and history (only in Internet Explorer), verifies the password security and restricts mail sending. In order to send e-mails, you have to register the e-mail client in the exception list of the program.
CyberGhost VPN proves to be a powerful protection tool for erasing your trails while navigating online, that is, if you are willing to put up with its speed and quota limitations. If not, you can always subscribe for a new plan and surf online with no worries.
CyberGhost VPN description
Here are some key features of "CyberGhost VPN":
· CyberGhost VPN allows you to surf anonymously online in three easy steps: log in, connect, surf securely.
· CyberGhost VPN provides you with a virtual private network protected by 128-bit SSL encryption. The encryption keys are generated on your own computer so no one can use them to eavesdrop on your network activities.
· CyberGhost VPN works with almost any program that accesses the Internet, letting you surf, communicate, and share data anonymously. To prevent misuse by spammers, email programs should not be concealed (this does not apply to web mail, i.e., mail applications accessed by browsers).
· CyberGhost VPN allows you to surf securely when using public WLANs and hotspots and prevents others from spying on your data transmissions (does not apply to traditional email clients, which cannot operate inside the VPN).
· CyberGhost VPN offers a high-performance server network. Basic users experience only minimal delays while premium users will hardly notice the difference.
· CyberGhost VPN provides its premium subscribers with 256-bit AES-encrypted online storage (careful: lost passwords cannot be recovered).
· CyberGhost VPN guarantees premium subscribers a minimum bandwidth of 2,000 kbit/s (higher speeds depend on server load).
· CyberGhost VPN supports all PC Internet connections (WLAN, Internet cafés, UMTS, DSL, ISDN, modem).
· CyberGhost VPN gives users more online security and freedom with fewer worries about Internet privacy.
· CyberGhost VPN has an easy-to-follow overview of subscriptions costs and continually-updated usage reports.
· .NET Framework 3.5
· Pentium processor or equivalent
· 128 MB RAM
· 75 MB available disk space
· 800x600 resolution in 16/24/32-bit color depth (high color or true color)
· mouse or trackball
· correctly installed and preconfigured Internet connection
· Supports up to 1 GB monthly traffic