Softpedia Editor's Review for Comodo Time Machine
Quickly restore your computer to an earlier point in time.
Written by Mihaela Citea on December 22nd, 2012
As its name suggests, Comodo Time Machine is a powerful application that you can use to restore your data from an earlier point in time after malware infections or system crashes.
The software can create a series of snapshots of the system (which are complete images of the documents, installed applications and system settings) and enable you to revert it to one of these safe points if anything goes wrong.
Designed with ease of use in mind, the program does not pose any problem even to beginner users. Its interface is clean and well-organized, enabling you to view all the available snapshots, create new ones and restore the system with just a few clicks.
At installation, a baseline snapshot is automatically generated, but you can create as many system images as you want and lock them to prevent modifications. One advantage is that the snapshots don't use up much disk space. If you want to be extra safe, you can use the scheduling option to take snapshots periodically, so you don't have to do this manually.
Another interesting feature is the pre-boot console, designed to help you restore your system before Windows starts. This comes in handy if you did something that prevents your computer from booting.
Using the 'Recover Files' section, you can restore a previous version of a file, without having to restore the whole system. An alternative is to 'mount' the snapshot, which allows you to browse it as if it was a separate hard drive and copy the files you need to your PC.
In order to avoid data loss, the application enables you to synchronize folders or files with a snapshot version. This way, the selected files are not changed after the restore process.
Combining simplicity with powerful features, Comodo Time Machine is an application that can be used by software testers and developers to perform system rollback to a previous working state. It can be used to fix problems without having to re-install Windows and create restore points to make sure that the computer is working properly at any time.
Comodo Time Machine description
Here are some key features of "Comodo Time Machine":
· Easy to use - even beginners can quickly create system snapshots with a few mouse clicks
· Provides instant and comprehensive system recovery after virus or spyware infections
· Instantly reclaim your machine after devastating system crashes
· Rollback the changes to ALL your documents - not just changes to system files and the registry
· Boot-up console allows you to rollback even when your system will not boot to Windows
· Test new software and network configurations in the knowledge that you can quickly switch back if problems develop
· Completely remove unwanted software installations without the need to uninstall or clean the registry
· Flexible restore options allow you to mount and browse snapshots to recover individual files or folders
· Right click on any file or folder to synchronize it with a snapshot version
· Schedule regular system snapshots to ensure highly relevant restore points
· Network administrators have another way to quickly fix user or software problems
· Libraries, Internet cafes and other publicly shared networks can schedule a total system restore at the end of each session
· Intel Pentium III Processor or higher
· 128 MB RAM
· 4 GB Disk Space
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· FIXED! Installation fails with error “Comodo Time Machine can not initialize operating system information”.
· FIXED! System can not boot if a protected disk is removed.
· FIXED! More than 50 GUI bugs.
· FIXED! More than 20 bugs in ctmcmd.exe.
· IMPROVED! New snapshot engine.
· IMPROVED! Uninstall to current system in seconds.
· IMPROVED! More powerful and accurate schedule task.
· IMPROVED! Users can choose to move user directory to unprotected disk and turn off windows system restoration when installing CTM.
· IMPROVED! New language supported: Estonian and Portuguese.
· CHANGED: May need to move some data in recovery.
· CHANGED: Run snapshot compact automatically in background without user interaction.
· CHANGED: New quick operation entry in tray menu.