CrashPlan application is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other machine or device of your choosing. CrashPlan runs quietly in the background, automatically protecting your files.
Files are automatically compressed, encrypted, and transmitted to your designated backup destinations. Easily back up your laptop to a desktop, the office server off-site, or a remote employee's laptop to HQ.
By using your own backup destinations you avoid monthly fees, enjoy greater security, and can recover from data loss much faster. Don't have a destination? Use the built-in destination CrashPlan Central for a small monthly fee.
Here are some key features of "CrashPlan":
· CrashPlan constantly flags changes for backup and then backs them up once a day.
· Files are greatly compressed using advanced compression technology. Duplicate files and parts of files are automatically identified and stored only once.
· Control when CrashPlan backs up and when your friends are allowed to back up to you.
Multi-Fork / Stream:
· Back up everything about a file, not just its data.
Works Out of the Box:
· CrashPlan uses advanced technology to help computers connect without the usual configuration hassles.
· With CrashPlan, you can move backward in time, restoring previous versions of files.
· Back up to as many destinations as you want: in your house, across town or across the country! CrashPlan provides backup to hard drives, computers and online backup all at the same time.
Unlimited File Size and Backup:
· Supports files larger than you'll ever need, plus there's no limit on how much you can back up.
· Files that are most recently changed get backed up before those that are older.
· CrashPlan also prioritizes backups to minimize the time needed to backup. For example, small new files are given priority over old, big files. Local backup is given priority over backing up to online destinations.
· Specify which folders and filenames you do not want backed up.
Move Back in Time:
· You can restore previous versions exactly how they looked at a particular time of day. You control how many previous versions to retain — from 1 to unlimited.
· Easily recover accidentally deleted or saved over files.
Onsite or Over the Internet:
· Restore large amounts of data locally in just minutes! To restore 100GB of data over the Internet takes weeks for most people. With our local restore feature, you can have your data back in minutes!
· Unlike hard drives, DVDs, CDs, and tapes, with CrashPlan you know your data can be restored. How? Each night CrashPlan verifies that all your backup files are valid and can be restored. If CrashPlan discovers an error, it recovers automatically or notifies you if it cannot.
Any Machine, Any Destination:
· Are you on your laptop and wish you had a file from your desktop? Not a problem! Just restore it to your laptop.
· Where was that file? Use the built-in search feature to locate files to restore.
· Easily limit how much bandwidth is used while you're at your computer and while you're away.
Remote Web Administration:
· Remotely manage your backup through our secure web interface.
Trust Your Backup Location:
· Perhaps the idea of moving your data far, far away to servers containing other people's data is less than appealing. With CrashPlan, you can build your own backup destinations that you know and trust.
· In addition, keeping your data physically close lets you get it in hour instead of weeks.
· Only backing up to computers that are away from your home secures your files against theft, fire, and other local disasters.
· Your files are encrypted and compressed before they are transmitted to another destination. Encryption protects your files (and privacy) by preventing others from knowing anything about your data
· 512 MB RAM (1GB recom.)
· 1024 x 768, 16 bit display
· 250 MB available disk space
· Does not support multiple backup sets
· Does not support web restore
· Does not provide online storage
· Does not support continuous, real-time backup
· Does not support archive tampering detection
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved Getting Started email for new users
· Windows: Improved handling of 8.3 file names
· Windows: Fixed issue preventing open file backup via VSS
· General performance improvements
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime