Softpedia Editor's Review for FineRecovery
This file recovery software is an effective tool to recover deleted file and folders from damaged NTFS partitions
Written by Bogdan Popa on June 27th, 2012
FineRecovery is a data recovery tool that can restore deleted files from NTFS partitions.
Also aimed at users who want to get their files back from damaged drives, FineRecovery can also be launched from an USB storage device for a faster recovery process.
There are three different scanning modes available, namely the standard one, full and advanced, with the last one taking much more time as it searches by signatures.
The multi-panel GUI comes in very handy because it lets you select the drive to scan, browse the recoverable content, see the items that can be restored and essential information such as name, size, date created and modified and ID.
A preview utility is also available to let you have a glimpse into the selected file before starting the actual recovery process.
On the good side, FineRecovery can work with IDE hard drives too, regardless if they’re larger than 8 GB or not.
Even if the standard scanning mode is the fastest one, it’s recommended to use the advanced engine, especially when dealing with heavily damaged media. It takes much more time, that’s true, but it can provide the best possible results.
We didn’t notice any significant slowdown during our testing and FineRecovery works okay on all Windows versions.
All things considered, the app serves its purpose, but it doesn’t do any wonders, that’s clear. It can recover accidentally deleted files, but it can’t handle heavily damaged drives. It’s a good thing however that it’s so easy to use.
Here are some key features of "FineRecovery":
· Standard "Windows Explorer" - style interface;
· Supported file systems: NTFS, NTFS5
· Data recovery on damaged or deleted partitions, alternative data streams (NTFS, NTFS 5);
· Recognizes localized names
· FineRecovery can be run from a USB storage device.
· Scan all files and directories on selected hard drives.
· Utilizing a non-destructive, read-only file recovery approach. File Recover will not write or make changes to the section of the drive from which it is recovering data.
· Batch file recovery (recovers multiple files in one action).
· Works around bad-sector disk areas. Recovers data where other programs fail.
· Supports standard IDE/ATA/SCSI hard drives, including drives larger than 8 GB.
· At least 16 MB of RAM
· Will only recover files smaller than 100 KB
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· HFS/HFS+ file system support
· Virtual Recovery Bin