MirrorFolder is a handy and accessible backup app that allows you to quickly sync your folders.
You can setup mirrors for your important folders, or even an entire drive, to another local / network / removable drive in either automatic synchronization or real-time mirroring mode.
Once you setup mirror(s) for a folder, mirroring/synchronization will be done silently in the background without requiring any further effort or attention from you.
You may also optionally archive older versions of mirror files inside a series of zip files in a third location periodically.
Some common uses of MirrorFolder are:
· Mirroring on local hard disk - MirrorFolder is ideal for real-time mirroring on a separate local hard disk. In this mode, files in the mirror folder will remain identical with their source at any point of time. In case the source disk fails, you will have all of your files on the mirror folder/disk for immediate use. You may also use auto-synchronization mode of mirroring on local hard disk and choose to move older versions of files in the mirror folder to recycle bin duringsynchronization.
· Backup on removable drive - MirrorFolder can be used for automatic backup of your important working folders on removable drive like USB flash drive, removable hard disk, etc., preferably in automatic synchronization mode. You may also enable archive option to store older versions of files in a series of ZIP files into a third location.
· Mirroring entire system drive - MirrorFolder can be used to mirror entire Windows drive on another internal hard disk drive in real-time mirroring (RAID-1 type) mode. In case the source drive fails, you can use mirror drive to boot Windows without any lose of data/files. Note that MirrorFolder does not support mirroring entire system drive on external removable and network drives at present.
· Synchronization between laptop and desktop computers - You can use MirrorFolder to synchronize files between your laptop and desktop computers using bi-directional automatic synchronization mode.
· Synchronization between home and office computers through a USB flash drive - You can use MirrorFolder to synchronize important folders between your home and office computers using bi-directional automatic synchronization mode through a USB flash drive.
· Workstations to server mirroring - In a networked environment, MirrorFolder can be installed on each workstation computer to mirror important folders on them to one or more servers on the network. Once mirrors are created, MirrorFolder will keep mirrors on the server synchronized with the source folders on each computer on the network without requiring any further effort from individual users. That means, the server(s) will always contain an up-to-date copy of all relevant files of each workstation computer and individual users will no longer have to spend any time backing up his/her computer periodically.
· Server to server mirroring - MirrorFolder can be used for mirroring of files/folders from server to server on local network. Since this software runs under system account for both real-time and auto-synchronization mode of mirroring, it can mirror any files irrespective of its access right and who is currently interactively logged on the system. However, you must provide a user name and password to access the the remote server and mirror on it.
Here are some key features of "MirrorFolder":
· Easy to setup, and runs automatically as service in the background using very little system resources.
· Supports mirroring entire system drive to another internal hard disk drive in RAID-1 mode so that you can boot from the mirror drive without any lose of data in case the source drive fails.
· It can mirror opened/locked database files, including Outlook PST file, in RAID-1 mirroring mode.
· Supports real-time as well as periodic synchronization at the specified time/interval. It can also start synchronization automatically for removable drives when they are connected. It supports bi-directional synchronization option.
· Supports automatic archiving of older versions of files from the mirror folder into ZIP files.
· Supports copying NTFS alternate data stream, sparse file, junction/reparse point, symbolic link, file permissions, etc. It can also use NTFS Change Journal database for quick synchronization.
· Supports exclusion/inclusion of sub-folders and file types from mirroring.
· Supports command line options for setup, and extensive logging.
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Now creates a log entry for canceled synchronization if there were some changes in the source or mirror folders.
· Now has additional safety when replicating file deletion in case there is hard drive malfunction or the mirror drive is suddenly get disconnected.
· Now does not cancel any ongoing synchronization when the system is put in to sleep or hibernation state, i.e., synchronization will resume when the system wakes up again.
· Some other minor updates.