Softpedia Editor's Review for Recover My Files
Recover deleted files, documents, graphics, Zip, email etc
Written by Elena Opris on May 8th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Recover My Files
Unfortunate events happen all the time, especially when it comes to computers, as your important files can get infected by a virus or get accidentally deleted. Retrieving them can be a great problem, especially when you don't have them backed up. A solution to this situation can be RecoverMyFiles, a dedicated utility for finding and restoring deleted items.
This thorough application is meant to bring back deleted files (e.g. documents, images, video, archives, emails), even if they have been infected or permanently removed from your Recycle Bin.
RecoverMyFiles can also recover documents after a hard disk crash or partitioning error, from external local drives (e.g. camera card, USB), and restore formatted hard drives. You can choose to scan for all erased files, or you can enter a keyword to restrict the search and the processing time.
On smaller files, RecoverMyFiles works quite fast. But if you choose to perform a complete format recovery, it could take some while. Also, be careful not to open multiple instances, because the overlapping may result in errors.
The interface of the tool is both intuitive and well-organized, leaving plenty of room for previewing the files, or navigating around the files that have been found and analyze their MD5 hash. The search time is typically short, but if you don't have the patience to see the whole drive scanned, then you can just cancel the operation.
Another function provided by RecoverMyFiles is exporting the file list to a standalone file that you can read at a later time to see if your most valuable files can be retrieved.
The unregistered version does not allow you to save the recovered files, so if you are satisfied with the files it detects, you can purchase a license for RecoverMyFiles and unlock its full functionality.
Recover My Files description
Here are some key features of "Recover My Files":
· Recover files even if emptied from the Recycle Bin
· File recovery after accidental format, even if you have reinstalled Windows.
· Disk recovery after a hard disk crash
· Get back files after a partitioning error
· Get data back from RAW hard drives
· Recover documents, photos, video music and email.
· Recover from hard drive, camera card, USB, Zip, floppy disk or other media
· Cannot save the recovered files
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved partition recovery. Faster recovery speed and better validation of duplicate or invalid files.
· New file type signatures for File carving.
· Faster saving and loading of search results
· Automatically validate search results
Powerful new user interface:
· Separate views to group data by extension, status and date.
· Sort and multi sort files by attributes: name, extension, path, size and date.
· Text filter tool to quickly filter search results and find relevant files.
· Gallery view to thumbnail graphics files.
· Text and Hexadecimal views to examine raw data.
· Improved file preview. 300+ supported types with Zoom, rotate, copy, and search.
· Multi-screen support with detachable windows.
· Save and load custom screen layouts.
· Create drive images in DD, E01 and AFF format.