Softpedia Editor's Review for Ultimate Boot CD
A bootable CD including a collection of software utilities
Written by Elena Opris on June 8th, 2012
The times when floppy disks were in the trend are long gone. Even though they’re history now, they were quite popular at one point, since they were the only portable devices around. Their tiny capacity was used to store everything from documents to media content, but they were also the only solution to perform a system recovery.
Floppy disks are now on their way to extinction; but even so, there are situations that require floppy-based diagnostic utilities. When and if this happens, it’s best that you have those tools stored on a CD disc or even better, on a removable USB drive.
The best solution is to create a bootable CD that sports all the features of bootable floppy disks. This way, you have all the utilities you need on a single disc.
Ultimate Boot CD is a back-up and recovery tool that includes all the diagnostic utilities you’ll ever require. In other words, you need this software to create a bootable CD in case disaster strikes and your computer breaks down.
Ultimate Boot CD features an interface that’s quite similar to the one of BIOS, so users accustomed to this approach won’t face significant problems. After you create your bootable CD and insert it in the computer, a text-based menu will appear and from here you can select the utility you want to run.
How does Ultimate Boot CD work? It simply creates a virtual instance of the floppy (very much similar to virtual CD/DVD drives), so that the computer reads it as a floppy drive instead of a CD drive.
If you prefer memory sticks, Ultimate Boot CD features a script that allow you to access the utilities from a removable drive in the same way as you would from the CD disc.
Ultimate Boot CD description
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Modified pmagic1.txt as per Explorer09's suggestion.
· Update DiskCheck to V4.3.0. Thanks to ady for the update.
· Updated HDClone to V4.3.2. Thanks to ady for the update.
· Fixed a regression in "\ubcd\tools\linux\syslinux2grub4dos\syslinux2grub4dos.sed" that causes converted grub4dos scripts to be missing the "ubcdcmd" parameter.
· FDUBCD: Updated deltree.com in (FDUBCD/level1/freedos.cab/bin) to V1.02g. Updated jemm386.exe (FDUBCD/bin) to V5.78. UBCD FreeDOS version updated to V1.49.
· Updated ASTRA to V6.04. Thanks to ady for the update.
· Updated HDShredder to V4.0.0. Thanks to ady for the update.
· Updated grub4dos to 0.4.5c-2013-05-21 and adopted Explorer09's suggestion to change the border color of the grub4dos menu to match syslinux's by updating "\ubcd\tools\linux\syslinux2grub4dos\syslinux2grub4dos.sed".
· Updated Parted Magic to 2013_05_01_i586. This version fixes the issue of Firefox maxing out CPU, but has a regression in running from R...