Softpedia Editor's Review for Peter's Flexible Renaming Kit (Pfrank)
This application easily organizes your music files, picture files, or any other types of files
Written by Sorin Cirneala on December 28th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Peter's Flexible Renaming Kit (Pfrank)
Peter's Flexible Renaming Kit (Pfrank) is a strong renaming tool that can help you process multiple files and folders at once. This is the main function of the program although it can also be used to edit the comments of JPG files and to change the file's properties.
The program has a special mode for each function and the parameters are different. When it works in renaming mode you need to specify the filters that apply in order to select the items to be renamed. You can specify whether the application includes files, folders, hidden files or system files and create a wildcard filter to specify a certain file extension.
To rename the files the user can choose one of the preset rules available in the application or can create customized rules. This tool is able to apply multiple rules for changing the name of the selected items. For instance, you can remove all the vowels from the file name and change the extension in a single operation.
When you want to change the comments of JPG files the results window displays a field with the file's thumbnail and a comment field where you can enter the text string. You can import the comment from a text file and export the current comment in order to prevent information loss. After you set up the parameters you can choose to apply the changes to the entire list or to modify only certain files.
Pfrank can also be used to change the file properties for a large number of files. The first step is to create the filters for selecting the desired files. In the results window you can choose the properties that you want to set and select only certain files that are affected by the change.
Although the interface is more complex than other similar utilities, Peter's Flexible Renaming Kit is a powerful and highly customizable program that can deal with any file renaming task.
Peter's Flexible Renaming Kit (Pfrank) description
Here are some key features of "Peter's Flexible Renaming Kit (Pfrank)":
· Powerful Regular Expression (regex) based search/replace engine for defining custom replace commands. Regular expressions are a standard language.
· You create the expressions or choose from dozens of pre-defined regular expression sequences that you can modify as required.
· Define any number of search/replace regular expressions and then run them in a custom sequence with one command!.
· Include any of and as many of the pre-defined renaming commands in the custom sequence!
· If the pre-defined commands and regular expression capability can't do what you want, then develop your own commands using the full power of the python programming language! See here for details.
· Regular expression flags are available to ignore letter case, ignore file/folder name extensions, control the number of replacements made, and more!
· Use the built-in command line interface to invoke custom renaming from the Windows command line, batch files, the Windows task scheduler, etc.
· Export the preview list (this can include over 158 types of meta data!) to a CSV file.
· Copy many variations of data from the preview list to the clipboard.
· Export the renaming or undo commands to a .bat file.
· Export all renaming activity to a log file.
· Import list of old/new filename pairs from a CSV file for renaming. Unicode files are supported.
· Easily set up to run on portable devices like flash drives.
· Optionally integrated with Explorer. Can activate PFrank by right-clicking on a Folder and selecting PFrank.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added Grouping feature for various insertion options.
· Added more error checking for imports.
· Fixed month offset 'off by 1' error.