XXCOPY is very simply and easy to use logical extension of XCOPY.
It remains faithfully compatible with XCOPY in the invocation syntax, yet, adds many innovative features to be a very serious utility for anyone who feels comfortable in managing files in command line mode (DOS Box). XXCOPY has grown to be not just a file copy program but also file removal, search and list utility.
Its short-name preserving capability makes it ideal to clone a system disk which can be made bootable. XXCOPY comes with a 16-bit version XXCOPY16 which allows copying files in DOS environment using short name only (to be later expanded to long name). You may also use it for synchronizing systems. In short, it is an industrial strength utility for system administrators.
Here are some key features of "XXCOPY":
· Duplicates the entire system drive which can boot Win9x (xxtb #10).
· Keeps the same short name (8.3) in the destination as in the source (xxtb #03).
· The source specifier accepts wildcards in directory names also (xxtb #28).
· Backs up directory incrementally without the use of archive bit. (xxtb #06).
· Synchronizes directories (xxtb #20).
· Controls file attributes (keeps the source, destination attributes or none).
· Excludes directories or files from copying by wild cards(xxtb #05).
· Handles a Cyclic Copy case much better than XCOPY (xxtb #07).
· Qualifies files by file date/time (Before, On, or After) (xxtb #17).
· Deletes files or directories using the same powerful selection mechanism (xxtb #12).
· Copies hidden/system files, and overwrites Read-only files.
· Flattens a directory tree into files in one directory (xxtb #16).
· Copies security information for NTFS volume archiving.
· Supersedes Microsoft's ROBOCOPY (xxtb #30).
· Works very much like XCOPY with the same command syntax.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Support for x64 Windows, preserving reparse points