Softpedia Editor's Review for Ashampoo Magical Defrag
Unleash your computer's hidden performance
Written by Elena Opris on April 15th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Ashampoo Magical Defrag
Ashampoo Magical Defrag is a tool that can help you keep your hard drive in good shape.
Once you initiate the application, the defragmenation starts automatically and runs in the background. The interface is clean and intuitive and you can view the current action, total defragmented files and moved clusters, as well as symbols for the graphical representation.
Thus, you can read statistics and a drive analysis, as well as configure user settings (e.g. disable notification updates, use Magical Defrag screensaver) and the job administration.
You can create a new job by selecting the specific drives for the defrag task, enable the options to defrag removable drives and SSD drives, and define which files you want to defrag (smaller, larger, newer).
In the following steps, you can configure advanced settings (e.g. never stop defragmentation, do not run while in battery mode or while printing) and select the time interval to repeat the job (e.g. daily, once, when the screensaver is active, start manually).
The program uses a moderate amount of system resources and contains a comprehensive help file. A defrag task is completed in a reasonable amount of time (of course, this can take a while, depending on the size of your hard drive and defrag settings you have configured), but we haven't come across any kind of problems during our tests.
Since Ashampoo Magical Defrag is extremely simple to use even by beginners and we strongly recommend this software if you want a clean and effective solution when it comes to defragmenting your computer.
Ashampoo Magical Defrag description
Here are some key features of "Ashampoo Magical Defrag":
· Fragmentation Protection: Ashampoo Magical Defrag uses advanced new software technology to prevent disk fragmentation.
· Powerful new algorithm: The new defragmentation algorithm is much more efficient and powerful for significantly better results in significantly less time.
· Dynamic graphical display: The dynamic drive map display that shows the fragmentation of your disk and how the program does its work.
· No-configuration operation: Ashampoo Magical Defrag is even easier to use than its predecessor. There is nothing to configure.
· Windows Vista compatible: Ashampoo Magical Defrag is ready for Windows Vista today. Install it now, safe in the knowledge that it will continue to work when you upgrade to Vista next year.
· Automatic defragmentation: Automatically defragments your hard disks whenever your computer is idle.
· No interference with other programs: Automatically stops whenever you start using the computer, or when any other program starts working.
· Install it and forget it: Don't worry about defragmenting your hard disks. Ashampoo Magical Defrag takes care of everything for you.
· Statistics: If you want you can display complete statistics on current defragmentation status.
· Multi-user support: Ashampoo Magical Defrag works in ordinary user accounts without administrator rights. It even works when no users are logged in!
· 128 MB RAM
· Hard Disk Space 10 MB
· 10 days free trial, but you can extend your trial period up to 30 days
· Nag Screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved defragmentation engine
· Job Administration allows for individual defragmentation strategies
· Multiple configurable defrag jobs
· Job Scheduler for individual time management
· Defrag Now: start non-stop defragmentation with just one mouse click
· Start Job: launch any preset defragmentation job from the Job Administration, irrespective of the predefined time schedule
· SSD protection
· Volume analysis with status report
· Screensaver featuring different designs for graphical visualization of current defragmentation progress
· Brand-new skin for user interface