Softpedia Editor's Review for Folder Marker Free
Lets you change folder icon (mark folder) with color-coded and image-coded icon.
Written by Bogdan Popa on June 1st, 2012
Folder Marker is a very easy to use software solution that enables you to change a folder icon with just a single click.
The application supports ICO, ICL, EXE, DLL, CPL and BMP formats, as well as 32-bit icons stored on the local disks.
The program's GUI is the one that makes everything a breeze because it relies on a tabbed layout to let you quickly change the icon of a folder.
First of all, users are required to input the target folder and then provide the path to the new icon. You can switch to a new color as well, with a dedicated tab created in this regard.
The good thing is that Folder Marker supports batch processing too, which means that you can change icons for multiple folders at the same time. All you need to do is to define the folders and pick new icons for all of them.
What's more, a “restore to defaults” feature is available too, so you're on the safe side all the time in case something goes wrong.
Just as expected, the whole icon changing process takes just a few seconds and the footprint on system performance is minimal. The program works smoothly on all Windows versions, but administrator privileges are needed to change icons of system-protected folders on Windows 7 workstations.
All in all, Folder Marker is one of the easiest to use piece of software in this particular software category, giving you the power to change a folder icon with just one click.
Folder Marker Free description
Here are some key features of "Folder Marker Free":
· Folder Marker Free can mark folders by priority (high, normal, low), by degree of work complete (done, half-done, planned) and by the type of the information contained in a folder (work files, important files, temp files, private files).
· Folder Marker Free changes folder icons from a popup menu of the folders. To mark a folder, you don't even need to run the program!
· Folder Marker Free's menu can contain convenient category submenus.
· Folder Marker Free contains a User Icons tab. Add up to 10 of your favorite icons and mark folders with them. It's easy!
· Folder Marker Free can work with several folders at once
· Folder Marker Free can assign an icon to a folder from: ICO, ICL, EXE, DLL, CPL or BMP file
· Pentium 60 Mhz or higher
· 16 Mb RAM
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The Support of Windows 8 has been added.
· We have redesigned the mechanism of working with network folders. Now you can change the icon of the network folder on the computer and see the icon was changed on other computers in the network without using the function "Refresh System Icons".
· We have improved the algorithm of folder icon change without using "Make customized folder distributable" checkbox. Now if you apply the icon from a standard set of Folder Marker, you are able to move it safely to another computer where Folder Marker is also installed. On the second computer the folder will also remain marked.
· We have improved the algorithm of folder icon change with using "Make customized folder distributable" checkbox. Now there is no need to update the icon cache every time you change the icon. As a result, the process of changing the icon is faster and more reliable.
· In the Pro version of our program we have added the possibility to make a backup state of changed folders. Now you c...