Softpedia Editor's Review for SageThumbs
A shell extension allowing to preview many image formats
Written by Elena Opris on February 19th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for SageThumbs
SageThumbs is a shell extension that you can use to preview image files and perform several operations on them. It can be easily installed and configured, even by beginners.
After the installation procedure is done, you are required to restart the computer, in order for the changes to take effect.
So, you can open the right-click menu on image files, in order to copy a picture to the Clipboard, set it as a stretched, tiled or centered wallpaper, send it or its thumbnail to someone else via email, as well as to convert it to pictures with the JPG, GIF or BMP extension.
The app includes several customization preferences which you can access from the 'SageThumbs Options' entry. Thus, you can disable the context menu or thumbnail in Windows Explorer, use the thumbnails as icons in Explorer, and disable Windows thumbnail cache.
But you can also set the maximum size of image files to preview, make file associations (e.g. JPG, BMP, 3FR, ANI, AI, APNG), switch to a different language for the interface, as well as enable SageThumbs to use Windows Image/Fax Viewer.
The program needs a small amount of CPU and system memory, and has a good response time. We have not experienced any problems during our testing; SageThumbs did not freeze, crash or pop up error dialogs during our tests. All in all, SageThumbs provides a straightforward solution for viewing and converting image files.
Here are some key features of "SageThumbs":
· Extended thumbnail image view of Explorer folder
· Thumbnail image in explorer context menu (rigth-click menu)
· Extended info tips
· Support 162 image formats (224 extensions) via GFL Library
· Support additional 26 image formats via XnView plugins (if installed)
· Send by mail support
· One-click conversion to popular image formats support
· Wallpaper selection support
· Copy to clipboard support
· About 2 Mb of disk space + additional space for cache
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved "compatible" mode (added invalid extension detection)
· Fixed PaintShopPro extensions (pspbrush, pspframe and pspimage)
· Fixed shifted icon in context menu on Windows XP
· Added new option "Show preview in submenu"
· Added "SageThumbs Repair Utility"
· Added Polish translation
· Updated installer