Softpedia Editor's Review for VMmanager
Easily create or edit any virtual machine
Written by Elena Opris on April 3rd, 2013
VMmanager is a software application that enables you to create or edit a virtual machine. Thus, you can run multiple operating systems on your computer, without any problems.
The program's interface is made of a common window with a well-organized layout. When creating a virtual machine, you can get started by specifying the operating system (Windows, Linux, Novell Netware, Sun Solaris or other), compatibility version (for VMware Workstation 4.x or 5.x), guest operating system name, project name and OS edition.
VMmanager supplies users with a bunch of configuration settings, in order to better personalize the respective virtual machine. Thus, you can specify the RAM to be allocated to it, together with the hard disk adapter (IDE, Buslogic or LSI Logc), splitting method, disk drive and CD-ROM type (IDE or SCSI).
Other features of VMmanager focus on the selection of the Ethernet (disabled, bridged, NAT, host-only or custom), MAC address (don't change, delete, create new, set manually) and adapters (e.g. for the USB and sound). Once all modifications are made, you can switch to the last tab to apply them to the virtual machine.
Furthermore, it is possible to choose the folders to share between the virtual machine and host, view VMX and VMDK information, as well as to restore all options to their default values.
The software application runs on a low amount of CPU and system memory, so it should not put a strain on the computer's performance. Unfortunately, no recent updates have been made to the app. But no error dialogs have been shown in our tests and VMmanager did not hang or crash. Since its features can be handled by first-time and advanced users alike, VMmanager should please the entire audience.
Here are some key features of "VMmanager":
· Easy to install
· English, French or German GUI
· Create new virtual machines
· Modify existing virtual machines
· Specify the operating system and the project settings
· Set the RAM size
· Select the disk adapter (IDE, SCSI)
· Create a hard disk (flat, sparse, 2 GB split types)
· Enlarge the hard disk afterwards
· Use floppy disks and CD drives as well as image files
· Generate formatted floppy images
· Manage network adapters
· Change MAC addresses
· Add peripheral adapters (USB, COM, LPT, sound)
· Show VMX files and VMDK headers
· Determine the range of functions by an ini file
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Notes: Shared folders added