Softpedia Editor's Review for WakeupOnStandBy
Wake-up PC from Stand-by at a predefined time
Written by Bogdan Popa on May 28th, 2012
WakeupOnStandBy is a small Windows software utility developed to wake up the computer from standby without any user input.
The application is capable of restoring the system from the sleep mode based on user-defined parameters, with dedicated options to re-enable a network connection and launch a file, a program or a website.
WakeupOnStandBy's main GUI is the one that takes care of everything, with a straightforward configuration process that shouldn't raise too many problems to rookies.
First, you are prompted to select the time to wake up the computer and choose whether you want to turn on the monitor and resume from screensaver, repair network or keep screen on afterwards.
As said, you are allowed to choose a program or webpage to be launched after the system is restored from sleep or even pick an action to be performed, including sleep, hibernate, shutdown or log-off.
Besides the fact that it can repeat the configured task at a defined interval, WakeupOnStandBy also allows its users to create batch files able to use the same settings to wake up the system from standby.
A cluttered settings menu is also available, enabling users to configure the network repairing process and event logs. Advanced computer knowledge is however necessary, so the online help manual could help you a lot.
All things considered, WakeupOnStandBy is a handy project that could become one of the top products in this particular software category with a few improvements here and there. A more user-friendly approach and a redesigned interface are clearly needed.
Here are some key features of "WakeupOnStandBy":
· Can restore almost every Windows-based Operating System from a Sleep mode (and most systems from hibernation as well).
· Can run a file or open a web page at a predetermined time after a wake-up event, during normal operation, or before performing power operation.
· Can send system back into a Sleep mode (hibernate it, shut it down, or log off user) after a waiting period.
· Can detect if a wake event from a Sleep mode (or hibernation) is supported by your system.
· Can turn your monitor on and hold off screen-saver during a waiting period.
· Can repair local area network and high-speed Internet connections upon waking up from a suspended power state.
· Can send system into a Sleep mode or hibernate it with more options than available through the Operating System.
· Can be incorporated into an in-car (entertainment) PC system to speed up booting time & save battery.
· Can be run from the Windows Command Line without a user interaction.
· Can be saved in a batch file for later use.
· We can customize this utility to better fit the needs of your organization.
· IBM PC + Advanced Configuration and Power Interface support
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed multiple bugs reported by users, including bugs in scheduling, Repetitive mode, UI, etc.
· Fixed bugs and improved the drag-and-drop functionality. Now the program supports end-users dragging various files, links, URLs and text into its main window controls.
· Cleared up and simplified main window UI, as well as UI in other secondary windows.
· Added "Save All Schedules As Batch File" option to allow saving of multiple running schedules in a single batch file.
· Added "Exit All Schedules" option to close multiple running copies of the WakeupOnStandBy program.
· Added on option to Shift-Click the "Start/Exit" button in the main window to close all running schedules (if such are present.)
· Added keyboard shortcuts to the mostly used context menu commands.
· Added new setting, "Do not play beeps and sounds during operation" that should prevent the program from playing sounds during its operation. (This does not include default sounds from Windows message boxes.)
· Extended the number of ...