ArchView is an extension of Firefox, which can open archive file online without downloading the whole archive. ArchView supports RAR and ZIP formats over HTTP/ FTP protocols, and it can also open local files via file: protocol. This software will present data via XUL or HTML interface.
ArchView doesn't intend to replace other archivers (eg. 7-Zip, WinZip or WinRAR). It lacks some features, and can't add or delete files in an archive. ArchView doesn't support compression, and has no plan to realize it.
ArchView is a companion and supplementation of these tools, since they are designed to handle local files.
Here are some key features of "ArchView":
· Directly access archive files on Web or FTP server.
· List the catalog of archive file.
· Open or download an individual file.
· Support RAR and ZIP formats.
· Support HTTP, FTP and file: protocols.
· Can present HTML or XUL interface.
· Only fetch necessary data rather than the whole archive file.
· Firefox 2.0 - 3.0.*
· Can't open SFX file.
· No support for multi-volume archive.
· No direct support for RAR decoding, need third-party software.
· Can't open encrypted file in ZIP.
· Can't show RAR comment.