Softpedia Editor's Review for FSX Registry Utility
Adds the FSX path in the Windows registry
Written by Sorin Cirneala on January 7th, 2013
FSX Registry Utility is a compact application designed to help you repair the registry errors that prevent Flight Simulator X from running properly. The goal of the program is to avoid the need to reinstall the game by restoring the registry keys to the normal values.
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (also known as FSX) is one of the most popular games from the series and it is popular among flight simulation users. As the players often use custom made aircraft models that are added to the original configuration, the possibility of corrupting one of the essential registry entries is quite high.
Most aircraft model installers and other FSX utilities are reading the application's installation path from the Windows registry. If this entry is deleted you might not be able to use some of these tools or even the Flight Simulator.
The solution to this problem can be solved by restoring the registry entry or by reinstalling the application. If you have been using FSX for some time and have multiple add-ons, you might not be so eager to reinstall all of them.
This program provides you with a simple alternative and helps you create the registry entry within a few seconds. It features a two-tab interface that enables you to search for the current registry key and to create one that corresponds to the correct FSX folder.
If you want to reinstall the operating system and to avoid installing FSX with all the add-ons, you can copy it to another disk partition. However, this corrupts the registry and you need to edit their values or to set the new path in order to use FSX.
FSX Registry Utility can open the Registry Editor and navigate to the key you need to modify with just one click. This can help you save time and avoid tampering with other registry components.
Overall, the FSX Registry Utility is a useful tool for the users that have problems in running Flight Simulator X due to corrupt registry keys. And it comes with a detailed documentation that explains its features and functions for the novice users.
FSX Registry Utility description
Here are some key features of "FSX Registry Utility":
· Reports the FSX path in the Windows Registry
· Repairs the FSX path in the Windows Registry
· Handles both LOCAL_MACHINE and CURRENT_USER root registry keys
· Checks the path to make sure the fsx.exe file is present
· Warns if the registry path is missing
· Sets the registry path(s) to the fsx.exe file
· Sets the registry path(s) to the CD-ROM drive
· Warns if the fsx.exe is not in folder on clicking the "Set" button
· Avoids the need to reinstall FSX in the event of registry corruption
· Automatically searches for the FSX Reg key in the Windows RegEdit program
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Update - Adds full Windows Vista UAC compatibility. Status - Added.
· Update - New expanded Readme/Help file in CHM format (Compiled HTML Help). Status - Added.
· Change - The INI file that switches on the AutoCheck feature is now contained in the subfolder called "INI File" in this archive, instead of the previously embedded ZIP file (See AutoCheck topic in CHM file).