Softpedia Editor's Review for Hotkeycontrol
Make any keyboard to work as a Multimedia or Internet keyboard. Customize hotkeys for specific purposes
Written by Bogdan Popa on June 2nd, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Hotkeycontrol
Hotkeycontrol is a powerful Windows software solution that allows users to set up hotkeys for various actions.
Once you launch it, the program places an icon in the Windows System Tray that lets you enable and disable hotkey monitoring, but also to access its configuration screen and change the standard shortcuts.
Basically, the program needs to be running for your hotkeys to work, but the tray icon also allows you to temporarily disable monitoring for the selected configuration.
And speaking of settings, this is the place where you may spend most of the time because it allows you to set up your hotkeys.
You can create up to 50 hotkeys that can be used to run or open files or applications, but also dedicated key combinations to control volume or mute the sound, adjust monitor brightness, pause or play music and jump to next or previous tracks.
Macros are supported too and so are active window commands, which means Hotkeycontrol gives you the power to close a window, hide one, keep it on top, enable transparency or maximize it just by pressing a hotkey.
Additionally, Hotkeycontrol can be configured to handle shutdowns, restarts, monitor status and screensaver via dedicated keyboard shortcuts, so you may actually spend some time setting up the program.
There's nothing too complicated however and a help manual is also available, just in case you need more information on a built-in feature. Hotkeycontrol remains light on hardware resources all the time and works flawlessly on absolutely all Windows versions.
All things considered, Hotkeycontrol is the tool you need if you want to control your apps or your operating system from the comfort of your keyboard. It runs on low resources and comes with plenty of options for a great amount of Windows actions.
Here are some key features of "Hotkeycontrol":
· Use additional keys on your multimedia/internet keyboard with Hotkeycontrol
· Display of volume and other messages on screen using OSD
· Use hotkeys in 3d games too (For ex: change volume while you play)
· Display any image or text file on screen with translucency
· Run up to 50 programs or open webpages, files, folders via hotkeys
· Capture/playback macros to automate keyboard and mouse actions or type frequently used text
· Control active windows - hide/show, set always on top, set translucent, close window
· Turn off monitor and Eject cdrom drives
· Shutdown/restart/hibernate/suspend your computer
· Can use single keys such as function keys instead of combination hotkeys
· Display list of configured hotkeys on screen by pressing a hotkey
· Extend features by using plugins
· Easy to use - Office 2007 look and feel
· .NET Framework 2.0
· 15 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Deprecated some unused features and streamlined the UI
· Alpha transparent on screen display for HUD like graphics
· Other minor internal fixes