Softpedia Editor's Review for Ultimate Windows Tweaker
An easy-to-use Windows Vista tweaker
Written by Elena Opris on April 24th, 2013
Ultimate Windows Tweaker is a tiny software which allows you to customize your operating system.
This is a portable product, since it doesn't require installation and leaves your Windows registry keys intact. So, you can place Ultimate Windows Tweaker on an external device and run it on any computer.
The user interface of the program consists of a plain and simple window in which you can access options that revolve around personalization, user account, system performance, security settings, network tweaks, Internet Explorer, and others.
In the first tab you can view system information on your computer (Windows edition, system and computer user, name and domain settings).
Before making any changes, it is highly recommended you create a checkpoint. So, you can configure Windows Explorer (e.g. disable full row select items), the start menu (e.g. disable context menus) and the taskbar appearance (e.g. disable balloon tips).
You can also make welcome screen tweaks (e.g. enable verbose status message) and change options in User Account Control (e.g. enable admin approval mode for the built-in administrator account).
Furthermore, you can adjust the waiting time to end services at the shutdown process, to kill non-responding applications and to stop applications timeout during shutdown, as well as make system performance tweaks (e.g. auto-end non-responding applications) and service optimizations (e.g. disable Superfetch).
In addition, you can make administrative restrictions (e.g. disable Registry Editor ), Windows Explorer restrictions (e.g. disable Folder Options), Windows apps' restrictions (e.g. disable Windows Media Center) and configure Windows Update settings (e.g. disable all Windows Updates).
Moreover, you can configure the network security (e.g. hide your server or workstation from the general browser list), bandwidth optimization, tab settings and advanced configuration in Internet Explorer, disable hibernation, set Windows registration information, and more.
The program uses a low amount of system resources and you can reset settings to default at any time. There is no help file available, but Ultimate Windows Tweaker is very easy to work with.
Since the program works smooth and didn't cause us any issues during our tests, we strongly recommend Ultimate Windows Tweaker to all users.
Ultimate Windows Tweaker description
Here are some key features of "Ultimate Windows Tweaker":
· Data Execution Prevention or DEP feature in Windows Vista
· Microsoft Robocopy in Windows Vista
· All about Windows Command Line, Batch Files, and Scripting in Vista.
· Unravel Tweaks & Settings buried inside Vista's Group Policy Editor.
· Make your Vista send you e-mails using Task Scheduler!
· BitLocker Feature in Vista.
· Change Vista Sounds.
· Problem Reports and Solutions Center in Windows Vista
· De-Mystifying The Windows Vista Registry.
· 1024x768 screen resolution with 32-bit colors
· 10 MB free disk space
· Internet Explorer 7 or higher
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Supports Internet Explorer 9 Beta
· Enable Menu bar permanently
· Always on InPrivate Filtering
· Hide Compatibility View button
· Disable sending keystrokes to your default search engine
· Enable Quick Tabs
· Manage no. of rows in about:Tabs (IE9 only)
· Disable caching of SSL pages
· Enable software rendering instead of GPU rendering (IE9 only)
User Accounts & UAC:
· Manage user accounts (improved)
· Disable PAE
· Extensive code optimization for speed improvement
· Improved refreshing capability after applying tweaks
· No more prompts after each Apply clicks
· Some UI and typo fixes.