Softpedia Editor's Review for Islamic Prayer Times
A gadget to calculate and display your daily prayer times
Written by Mihaela Citea on October 26th, 2012
Islamic Prayer Times is a sidebar gadget designed to help you view the five formal daily prayer times on your desktop screen. The application is especially useful for the Muslims who are living inside Muslim-minority communities and thus cannot hear the traditional call-to-prayers.
Once you install the gadget, a small window appears on your desktop screen, displaying all the prayer times in a single window, together with the optional Shurooq prayer and the corresponding hours, according to the location you set. The next prayer time is highlighted and the application monitors how much time is left using a countdown timer.
The main condition to make the program work properly is to specify your exact location. Clicking on the gadget reveals the current date and your geographical coordinates. The Google maps service is used to toggle a map and automatically search a location by name. However, you can manually specify the latitude and longitude if you want to.
There are several prayer calculation methods and you have to choose the one that suits your need and beliefs (Egyptian, Shafi, Hanafi, ISNA, Fixed Isha, Umm Al-Qurra or Muslim World League). Furthermore, you are able to choose how exact the clock should be by setting the round seconds options.
Islamic Prayer Times can be used to ring the 'Adhan', that is, the call-to-prayer for one or more prayer times. The notification sound can be either chosen from the predefined ones or customized by the user.
In addition to this, the gadget can be set to auto configure the praying hours when you are traveling, so you don't miss any call-to-prayer.
Islamic Prayer Times is a lightweight application that can help Muslims determine the exact prayer times no matter where they are in the world and notify them daily, just like the traditional Adhan.
Islamic Prayer Times description
Here are some key features of "Islamic Prayer Times":
· The user can search for a location by typing the city, country, and / or region / state in the search text box and then select one from the list of results in the drop down when a search completes, or can select Custom Location to enter a specific latitude and longitude.
· If necessary, the user can specify the start and end dates of daylight savings time. For the US and Canada, this capability should be ignored because it is already taken into account in the calculations.
· The option to specify one of seven different types of prayer time calculation methods: Egyptian, Shafi, Hanafi, ISNA, Muslim World League, Umm al-Qurra, and Fixed Isha.
· For extreme latitude (high North or South locations) calculations, one of fourteen different options can be selected, as well as a Nearest Latitude value for those options that require it, e.g. Nearest Latitude All Prayers Always
· One of four different options for rounding seconds can be selected: None, Normal, Special, and Aggressive.
· The option to select either the Shafi or Hanafi school of thought shadow ratio for Asr prayer time calculation.
· Calculation angles and intervals in degrees can be entered for Fajr, Imsaak, and Isha times. These values are set to the defaults of the currently selected prayer times calculation method.
· Prayer time adjustments in minute offsets can be entered.
Adhan / Misc:
· An adhan file on disk can be browsed to, or one of four adhan sounds can be selected: Makka, Al-Aqsa, Bosnia, or Turkey. The user can listen to the audio by pressing the play button next to Adhan Sound drop down.
· The Blink Prayer Message option can be selected to display a blinking adhan message when the time for prayer comes and the option to play the adhan for that prayer is not selected, e.g. "Fajr Time!"
· The ability to turn on/off the adhan sound for each of the prayer times.
· Adhan volume adjustment.
· One of thirteen different themes for gadget display can be selected.
· The option to display a timer to the next prayer time or a digital clock.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed a bug where the prayer times were being calculated incorrectly when DST went into effect for certain countries.