Softpedia Editor's Review for ACID Music Studio
Multitrack audio and MIDI recording
Written by Elena Opris on March 18th, 2013
ACID Music Studio is a software that comes bundled with the necessary tools to create, record, edit audio tracks, and more.
The user interface of the program can look a bit confusing, especially for first-time users. For that reason, ACID Music Studio can be seen mainly as a tool developed for experienced individuals.
So, you can use a track list, timeline, transport bar, time display, 'Explorer' tab, 'Chopper' tab, mixing console, video preview, track properties, soft synth properties, plugin manager, as well as clip properties.
You can create a standard project by adding media from your computer, recording audio to add vocals and instruments, recording MIDI to add notes from a keyboard or by downloading media from the Internet.
In addition, you can extract audio from CDs, use a metronome to count off for playback or recording, insert, select and sort tracks, as well as add tempo information to the file (via the "Beatmapper" wizard).
Furthermore, you can apply a pitch shift to events, enable snapping, ripple edits, split, join, trim and reverse events, monitor clip stretching, apply time markers and add effects.
Last but not least, you can render files and burn them to disc, use assigned keyboard shortcuts, customize the toolbar and configure the program's behavior (e.g. enable to automatically open last project on startup).
The software uses a high amount of system memory, didn't pop up any errors during our tests and contains a very well-organized help file. Even so, less experienced users may have a hard time working with ACID Music Studio, therefore we recommend this tool to power users.
ACID Music Studio description
Here are some key features of "ACID Music Studio":
Easy record and import:
· ACID Music Studio 8 makes recording a breeze. Just plug your microphone or instrument into your computer's sound card and click Record. Capture one track at a time or the whole band at once with each instrument on a different track.
Add studio-quality effects:
· Spice up your music using effects such as EQ, reverb, delay, chorus, and distortion. Change the pitch and tempo of your mix in real time. ACID Music Studio 8 includes Studio Devil British Valve Custom guitar amp and TruePianos Amber Lite piano plug-in – a set of powerful studio-quality software packages.
Create new music with MIDI:
· Perform complete MIDI editing, recording, and sequencing. Manipulate MIDI data directly on the ACID Music Studio timeline with a piano roll or a drum grid interface. Apply VST instruments to your MIDI files for a wide variety of sound options.
· Recording, import and export
· Create original music with the included music loops, record and edit your own live performances, or both! You can also extract audio from your own CDs and add MP3 files to your mix. ACID Music Studio gives you the flexibility to record from virtually any source to produce amazing results. Burn your music CDs, save songs for uploading to your favorite Web sites such as ACIDplanet.com, or convert audio to MP3 for playback on portable devices including the PSP, iPhone, or iPod.
Studio multitrack recording:
· ACID Music Studio gives you complete freedom and flexibility to record your music. Record track by track or capture the entire band at once with each instrument on a different track. This gives you total control over volume, panning, and effects on each instrument or vocal track for the perfect mix.
New! Metronome countoff:
· Perform more accurate recording with ACID Music Studio 8. Use the metronome countoff to play a determined number of bars prior to recording or playback for greater timing and accuracy when recording a performance.
Add your own music to the mix:
· Get additional music for your projects from your own files. With ACID Music Studio software you can add music to your mix from nearly any source including CD, .mp3, and .wav.
Easy audio encoding:
· Powerful encoding functionality lets you save your songs to popular streaming formats for uploading to the Web, or export them to portable devices. Supported formats include MP3, WMA, WMV, AAC, FLAC, and more.
Publish your songs to the Web:
· Want to get heard? ACIDplanet is the premier Internet site for musicians and content developers. Join ACIDplanet to upload and share compositions, remix songs from major-label artists, and collaborate with other members on a wide range of music and video projects.
Over 3,000 music loops included:
· ACID Music Studio includes over 3,000 studio-quality music loops in a variety of genres so you have unlimited possibilities when creating your mix. Pick the loop you want to use, audition it along with your mix, paint it into a track, and play your creation back.
CD layout and burning:
· ACID Music Studio software makes it easy to create your own CDs in minutes. CD layout and burning is fully integrated into the software so you can conveniently create your music and produce professional-sounding CDs all within one application.
New! AAC and FLAC format support:
· Import and export additional file formats with ACID Music Studio 8, allowing for more options with media and hardware devices including the PSP, iPod and iPhone.
· Mixing, editing and MIDI
· ACID Music Studio software provides a complete set of professional-level tools to give you precise control over audio mixing, effects processing, audio routing, and final output. Create your own music loops with the Chopper tool. Add pan and volume envelopes for precise control. Customize your mix with built-in audio effects, or change pitch and tempo, and reverse audio in real time.
New! Enhanced remixing tools:
· For remixing your favorite songs, only ACID Music Studio software has the Beatmapper tool. This tool automatically finds the tempo of a complete song, making it easy to remix. New markers in ACID Music Studio 8 allow you to Beatmap songs with varying tempos and time signatures.
Studio-quality audio effects:
· Apply professional-quality audio effects and processes including élastique timestretching, EQ, reverb, delay, chorus, flange, phase, distortion, and echo. ACID Music Studio includes DirectX and VST audio effects support, as well as support for VST instruments so you can play back your MIDI tracks through virtual synthesizers, filters, and effects.
Inline MIDI editing:
· Increase your music productivity and flexibility with easy-to-see inline note editing. Inline editing makes MIDI data easier to edit and gives you quicker access to notes. Use envelopes and keyframes for precise control over MIDI data. The drum grid allows you to easily edit MIDI notes for soft synths that have drum maps defined.
New! Audio and MIDI Mixing Console:
· The new Mixing Console provides an integrated view of all tracks and busses in your project with the appearance of a traditional hardware-based mixer. The look can be customized to provide you with the best view of even the most complex session. The new audio and MIDI Mixing Console has additional routing options, allowing for a more flexible and efficient studio recording environment. ACID Music Studio 8 also supports up to four audio busses and four assignable effects chains.
New! Exclusive guitar and piano software bundle:
· ACID Music Studio 8 includes Studio Devil British Valve Custom guitar amp and TruePianos Amber Lite piano plug-in – a set of powerful studio-quality software packages.
MIDI processing and filtering:
· ACID Music Studio software includes MIDI processes and filters such as quantize, velocity, and duration for setting MIDI note parameters. With these processes, you can apply destructive editing to MIDI events on the timeline, quantize data in events, edit velocity values, change the duration of an event, or transpose MIDI data.
MIDI track envelopes:
· MIDI changes can be made across a project using track envelopes. Track envelopes are an easy, visual way to adjust volume, panning, controller parameters, or program changes dynamically over the duration of a track. ACID Music Studio allows you to draw envelopes directly on the timeline, right-click to add envelope points, or drag points with your mouse to make precise adjustments.
New! Tempo curves:
· Easily create gradual transitions from one tempo to another over the duration of an ACID Music Studio project. Transition types include Linear, Fast, Slow, Smooth, Sharp, and Hold. Tempo curves are an efficient way to create dramatic or subtle tempo changes in your project.
New! Zplane élastique timestretching:
· With élastique Pro technology, you can perform dramatic time stretches and pitch-shifts of Beatmapped tracks while retaining maximum sound quality.
· 1 GHz processor
· 200 MB hard-disk space for program installation
· 1 GB RAM
· Windows-compatible sound card
· DVD-ROM drive (for installation from a DVD only)
· Supported CD-recordable drive (for CD burning only)
· Microsoft Direct 9.0c or later
· Internet Connection (for Gracenote MusicID Service)
· 30 days trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed an issue that prevented .acd-zip files from opening on some systems with drives greater than 2 TB
| ||Softpedia guarantees that ACID Music Studio 9.0 Build 37 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |