September 27th, 2012Browser Tracking Blocker:
· Stops over 600 companies from recording your web activities
· Real-time malware classification and extremely fast system scanning
Website Safety Advisor:
· Security ratings in your search results—know before you go!
· Proactive protection from the craftiest email scams
Security for Android:
· Lost phone recovery, privacy protection and call/SMS blocking
Social Network Protection:
· Intelligent parental controls for Facebook and other social sites
October 4th, 2011Increased stability and reliability:
· All components have been made more resilient in order to resist against targeted malware attacks which are more and more aggressive. This includes, but it is not limited to, the ability to function without many registry keys, better protection against process termination, component deletion and many others. The repair functionality for various malware families has been improved.
Decreased resource usage and faster initialization time:
· Many optimizations in all modules, re-usage and recycling of components that have already been loaded in memory lead to a lower memory consumption. Because the engine is loaded only once, the overall initialization time of all modules has been improved.
The usability of many actions which require user interaction or are used very often has been improved: installation, configuration and control of the user interface. Some places where an information slide-up had to be shown have been enhanced by adding the possibility to configure the features:
· Protect Windows hosts file from changes
· Block autostart function
· Restart handling
IPv6 Support for the FireWall, Web and Mail Protection:
· The FireWall included in the Avira Internet Security is now able to filter Ipv6 addresses on the adapter level and also create rules for applications trying to connect over Ipv6. This completes the FireWall solution and assures the customers that even if they use the newest IP protocol they are still protected. Also, the Mail and Web protection components are able to work now in a pure Ipv6 environment.
User interface improvements:
· Overall, all the user interfaces of the product have been made faster, lighter and easier to use.
· We made the product more secure by default and this will be reflected by the user interfaces.
· Our strong belief is that the interaction with our security software has to be as easy and logical as possible.
· The status panel reflects the status of the most critical components you use.
· The status of the product is now reflected in the status panel and also in the umbrella in the tray icon.
· Our users have given their trust to Avira by installing one of our security solutions on their computers.
· This is why it is possible now to let Avira decide what needs to be done to protect the computer better. And this can be done with only one click: Fix problem
The entire status panel has been redesigned in order to allow a fast configuration and control of all options and features:
· Scan your computer
· FireWall, Web and Mail protection
· Child protection
· Game Mode / Presentation mode
· The configuration options have been simplified and only the most important options have been left visible by default. Of course, the technical savvy user can still find all the options to tweak the product in the Expert mode of the configuration.
Removal of potentially incompatible software:
· Everybody knows that running two security solutions in parallel can have serious consequences on the stability of the PC and the overall experience with a newly installed software.
In order to make the transition to Avira as easy and the least painful as possible, we have added a new functionality in our installation programs:
· detection and removal of potentially incompatible software.
· No worries, it is possible to select which 3rd party solution you want to keep.
· The new release makes the installation of our products even more easier and straight forward. We have kept only the most important things in the Express installation and left the others in the Custom installation mode.
Better security by default:
· From now on the hosts file (which is used by some malware to prevent antivirus products to update) will be protected from alteration by unauthorized programs. This feature will be added in all our solutions and will be active by default.
User configurable Game Mode:
· From now on it is possible to force the product to not display any information or show popups.
· We unified the Game Mode functionality which was available in several components (Real-Time scanner, Updater, FireWall) and allow our premium users to control it manually.
· It doesn’t need to be configured and no action is required meaning that it will work completely automatically.
· Ideally, it should be never required to ask for help, but if things don’t work the way they are supposed to, we are here to assist you.
· The Premium products will have a new feature which allows our technical support engineers to interact with your computer and fix the problems manually on your system.
· The feature is implemented using the well-known TeamViewer product, allowing remote access to a PC without installing anything and without creating security leaks in the firewalls.
· Just go to Help and choose “Live Support”.
Improved prioritization for the System Scan:
· The scanning process of a system is a very intensive operation as the disk activity is concerned. The entire computer might suffer a severe performance loss when a full system scan is triggered.
· In order to still ensure a safe environment by regularly scanning the entire computer without the interruption of normal activities that are performed on the computer, we have improved the prioritization of the System Scan feature (on demand scanning) for all supported platforms.
· If the user chooses the priority Low for the scan priority, the system scan will be performed in such a way that the scanner doesn’t significantly slow down the computer.
March 23rd, 2010New Gui:
· Avira AntiVir, version 10 will be released with a new graphical user interface that features a completely new set of icons as well as a new 3D navigation bar and a continuous background picture.
· The new user interface keeps the proven elements of the old interface and the customer does not need to get into a new interface. However, the new icon set and the other new elements make it much easier for the customer to find his way around the program.
Avira AntiVir ProActiv :
· Avira AntiVir, version 10 is now equipped with a brand new host-based intrusion prevention system called Avira AntiVir ProActiv. AntiVir ProActiv constantly monitors the behaviour of the system in real-time and looks for unusual events.
· An integrated rule-system is able to decide proactively if a certain event (or a combination of events) indicates that the system is currently under attack from a new or unknown malware.
· If a rule matches the user is then able to decide what to do with this suspicious file, i.e. to trust it, to block it once, to block it always or to ignore it.
· Part of this new technology is the Avira AntiVir ProActiv community that allows every Professional customer to take an active role in Avira´s world-wide battle against viruses and malware by automatically sending unknown malware samples to Avira. Those samples are then analysed and the results are fed back into the ProActiv module.
· Avira AntiVir ProActiv is only installed with a custom installation. If a user upgrades from an AV 9 Professional to the AV 10 he will get a slide up informing him that the new AntiVir ProActiv module is available. He can then install it by doing a change installation.
· Joining the Avira AntiVir ProActiv community must be separately enabled. If the AV 10 Professsional is managed by the SMC then AntiVir ProActiv and joining the ProActive community can be separately activated either by using the GUI or doing a silent setup.
· Avira AntiVir ProActiv is not available for the Avira AntiVir Personal in Q1-2010.
On-Access Scanner with one-click removal, repair and slide-up information:
· ThAvira AntiVir Guard (On-Access scanner) offers an automatic and an interactive mode.
· This interactive mode has been enhanced and now offers a much easier way of dealing with detected malware. In case a malware was found the access to the corresponding file is now blocked by default. This prevents the customer from accidentally opening the file and infecting his system.
· The information that a malware has been found is now shown in a slide-up and not in a separate window anymore. The slide-up also offers a one-click removal of the malware. Furthermore, the malware is not only removed from the system but the system itself is also repaired and the damage that might have been done by the malware is also fixed.
Generic disinfection :
· Detecting and deleting a malware is one thing, repairing the damage that might have been done by the malware is another. Avira now offers a new way of repairing the system and put it back into its former state. What you normally do is you use repair scripts to repair the system. This is what Avira also does.
· But in addition to this script-based repair routines Avira now also offers a so called generic repair. The generic repair is able to repair a system even when there is no repair script available.
Multi-Select in Quarantine :
· The quarantine now allows selecting multiple files at once and e.g. scan them or restore them.
SMTP Footer :
· Customers can now add a footer to any unencrypted email that is sent via SMTP (outgoing) and that has been scanned by MailGuard.
· It is possible to add the default MailGuard footer with basically says that this email was scanned by AntiVir MailGuard and that also includes the engine and VDF version with which it was scanned and/or the user can also add a self-defined text. If both options are activated, the self-defined footer is place in front of the MailGuard footer in plain text.
· This feature is not available for the Avira AntiVir Personal.
Update now a separate configuration entry :
· Updating the product as well as the engine and the virus definition files regularly is the most important thing a user has to do to make sure that the system maintains a very high level of security.
· The Update therefore is now a separate entry in the configuration panel and the hitherto available default update job in the scheduler was removed.
· As a default the product now downloads and automatically installs product updates, reminds the user every 120 seconds when a restart of the system is necessary and uses a present network connection for connection to the webserver. These settings, however, can be changed by the user, e.g. for doing an intranet update.
Guard process exclusion: use wildcards and name with more than 15 characters:
· The Guard allows excluding processes and file object from scanning. With version 10 it is now possible to add process/file object with more than 15 characters. It is also possible now to use wildcards and have process/file names with full file path.
Rootkit detection now available for 64 bit systems:
· The detection of rootkit which was up to now only available for 32 bit systems is now also available for 64 bit systems.
More configuration options in standard mode :
· In version 10 quite a number of configuration options have been moved from the expert configuration to the standard configuration.
· Thus it is now possible to configure the product to a very large extent within the standard configuration, leaving the expert configuration for those situations where a very specific configuration of the product is needed
Express installation :
· The Avira AntiVir now offers a new express installation allowing installing the products very quickly. Once “express installation” has been chosen it is only 3 further clicks to completely install the product.
Recommend a product :
· Customers who want friends, relatives or other people to become a member of the Avira family and benefit from one of the best security products can now do so very easily and even profit from it. Avira AntiVir now allows recommending the product. Just click on the “recommend the product” entry in the menu and login to your Avira customer account.
Improved slide-up system :
· The slide-ups that the product produces at times have been enhanced and now show a close and a minimize button in the upper right corner thus preventing that important information may be overlayed by the slide-up. When minimized there is now an additional icon in the task bar allowing to maximize the slide-up again.
Parental control with internet usage control :
· Avira AntiVir Premium Security Suite offers parental control to protect children from surfing to websites that are unfit for children or teenagers. Parental control now also allows defining the overall time that kids are allowed to use the internet. The usage time can be limited on a monthly, weekly or daily basis. The daily settings also allow different usage times for weekends or Monday to Friday schooldays. Multiple periods per day are also possible. Parental control is now also much more prominent in the product and can now be found as a separate modul in the configuration and control center.
Parental control now a separate module:
· Parental control is now treated as a separate module in the control center as well as in the configuration center.
September 24th, 2007
· WebGuard to surf and download safely
· Virus check of every file and archive access
· Protection of active processes against undesired breakups
· Perfect for game tasks through the "Game mode"
· Also available as a family license for 3 PCs
May 17th, 2007
· Vista Support. New Rootkit detection and removal features