April 25th, 2013
· New Feature: Includes search results from archive.org, which indexes millions of public domain and creative commons works from all over the internet.
· New Feature: playlist songs can be re-ordered with drag and drop.
· New Feature: all songs in a playlist can now be exported to a folder.
· Upgrade: Improved Unicode support for Chinese characters.
· Upgrade: mplayer update for unicode character file playback support.
· Upgrade: Search architecture upgrade for much faster search results.
· Upgrade: Considerably faster mp3,mp4 parsing in the library, creating playlists is now faster than ever.
· Upgrade: New more explicit Wi-Fi sharing icons.
· Upgrade: Updated radio station database.
· Upgrade: up to 20% faster listing of files in the Library.
· Upgrade: Video player upgrades for better experience.
· Bug fix: screen-saver no longer kicks in during video playback.
· Bug fix: UPnP Wi-Fi sharing discovery consumes 84% less CPU on congested local networks. Fixing reported slowdowns and reducing considerable power consumption for laptop users.
· Bug fix: X11 related error fix.
· Bug fix: Number of files being shared includes the number of torrents being seeded.
· Bug fix: Library search issues related to unicode characters.
· Bug fix: Multiple null pointer exceptions and crashes fixed.
· Bug fix: Fixed rendering issue related to wrong parsing of bitrate string data.
· Upgrade: (Developers) ant compilation scripts cleanup.
· Upgrade: (Developers) use of ‘frostwire-commons’ repository to share common code between FrostWire for Android and Desktop projects.
April 24th, 2013
· Bug fix: Null pointer exceptions in Media Player.
· Bug fix: Multiple User Interface thread violations fixed.
February 22nd, 2013
· New Feature: extract audio (.m4a) from (.mp4) videos on right click.
· New Core Feature: HTTP resumeable large transfer support.
· Upgrade: Default save folder for cloud downloads is updated without
· Upgrade: 'Repeat song' playback mode now available.
· Upgrade: Enriched promotion display, now with audio and video previews and
· shortcuts to content creator's social media channels/streams.
· Upgrade: binary compatibility improved for Windows releases.
· Bug fix: if default save folder is changed it's now part of library scanned
· Bug fix: smart search engine wasn't notifying when it was done if there
· were no results.
· Bug fix: several crashes and errors fixed.
· Bug fix: partial download dialog for cloud downloads would sometimes appear
· Bug fix: out of memory error by UPnP-cling creating an infinite number
· of threads.
February 6th, 2013
· A new hotfix 5.5.3 release is out to address slowdown/freezes reported by many XP users.
February 6th, 2013
· Upgrade: Now 'Movies' or 'My Videos' folder is included by default on new
· installs since we now have a built-in video player.
· Upgrade: The Smart Search engine can now be disabled. No torrents will be
· indexed and no search against the local database will be performed if
· UI fix: Video Player Window Title now shows the file name being played.
· UI fix: Library > "Finished Downloads" renamed to "Default Save Folder"
· UI fix: When browsing another device on the Wi-Fi network newest shared files
· are shown at the top of the table.
· Bug fix: On first installation FrostWire wasn't able to add 'From Devices' folder
· to the Library.
· Bug fix: When restoring default settings FrostWire was not restoring default
· library folders.
· Bug fix: Player remembers volume level from last song played.
· Bug fix: Sends correct file sizes on HTTP headers for shared files that
· have changed in size after being shared.
· Bug fix: Repeat media play setting with only one item.
· Bug fix: New mime detector based on a bigger table.
· Bug fix: Video player doesn't skip frames when resuming from pause.
· Bug fix: Video player doesn't move frames when paused and volume slider
· is being moved.
· Bug fix: Dropping a .torrent starts a download and doesn't ask to send to
· a friend.
· Bug fix: (Windows) can delete files that are being played or seeded
· from the Library.
· Bug fix: (Mac) compatibility with Mac OSX 10.5.x restored.
· Bug fix: (Windows) media player can open files with long paths.
· Bug fix: prevents NPE when opening a .torrent and trying to show icons when
· the file system chooser wasn't available.
December 11th, 2012
· New Clear Inactive button on transfers.
· New setting to use the default system media player instead of FrostWire's.
· New Download Cloud URLs, Torrents and Magnets by entering urls on the search field.
· New toggle full screen video playback with double click.
· Enhancement: Library file tables now show file modified date field and files are sorted by it in descending order so user can easily find newest files added to the library.
· Enhancement: Playlist tables now show the track number column and are by default sorted by it in ascending order to enjoy albums in the order they were meant to be heard by the content creators.
· Enhancement: mime type guessing is faster when sharing files on Wi-Fi
· Bug fix: Library was getting confused with file extensions as part of file names.
· Bug fix: sharing/unsharing popup menu behavior while sharing on Wi-Fi
· Bug fix: resizing issues on preview download dialogs.
· Bug fix: filtering on torrent detail dialog was broken.
· Bug fix: Library continuous playback working from play button.
· Bug fix: Cloud download error fixed.
· Bug fix: Media lib unicode issue.
November 30th, 2012
· New FrostWire video player.
· New audio preview on cloud based audio search results.
· New video preview on cloud based video search results.
· New Wi-Fi sharing between FrostWire for Desktop and Android.
· New Wi-Fi sharing/announcement/discovery protocol via UPnP standards.
· New Stream Video/Audio stored shared on Android devices.
· UX Improvement: Add folders to library with drag and drop on library tree.
· UX Improvement: cloud audio downloads now have album art.
· Core Search Performance lowers CPU usage dramatically while indexing.
· Core Improvement: broader compatibility on cloud demuxed downloads.
· UI Improvement: partial download/torrent content window now includes
· file extension, file type icon.
· UI Improvement: when opening youtube url, the file selection dialog has type/quality hints to guide user on the options available for download.
· UI Improvement: audio player simplified, no stop button.
· UI Improvement: Transfer manager now has ‘Clear Inactive’ button.
· Bug fix: Run on startup for Mac finally works. The BitTorrent network will get a boost of upstream bandwidth.
November 25th, 2012Share files locally via Wi-FI/LAN:
· You will now be able to make files publicly available on your local network, if you have more than one computer running FrostWire, or Android devices running FrostWire 1.0, you will be able to share files between devices. This is a very powerful feature for teams in offices, schools and for media sharing at home. It's never been easier to share the pictures and videos on phones with all the other devices running FrostWire.
· We've done this using a clean HTTP protocol and UPnP discovery/announcement mechanisms.
New Video Player:
· You should now be able to play most popular video formats right from FrostWire, including YouTube video search results can be streamed before downloading them.
Audio preview before download:
· All results coming from Cloud services (currently only YouTube and SoundCloud) can be played before you download them. We'll be adding more cloud services in future releases.
August 25th, 2012
· BEP 34 compliant. FrostWire now checks DNS TXT records for tracker
· Soundcloud integration (Search, Streaming and Downloads).
· Fixes issue with partial download title window not showing the name
· of the torrent correctly.
· UI Improvement: Action hints on top of search results to stream or
· download or see the contents of the torrent.
· UI Improvement: Action hint on top of playable contents in the
· UI Improvement: Search result Source now includes the name of the
· author if available.
· UI Improvement: Search keywords are bolded in the titles of search
· UI Improvement: Creation date for non-torrent search results available.
· UI Improvement: File size of non-torrent search results available.
· UI Improvement: Opening 'Configure Options' on the Library takes user
· to the Library Settings pane.
· UI Improvement: Right clicking on the title of a search tab now
· shows the only action available (Repeat Search) directly.
· UI Improvement: A FrostWire update can now be invoked from the 'Tools'
· UI Improvement: New Notification update button will be available on
· the Window header to let the user know visually that there's a
· FrostWire update available.
· UI Improvement: Added 'Cleanup Playlist' right click menu item in
· UX Improvement: When saving a newly created .torrent, FrostWire
· will make sure the file is saved with the .torrent extension.
· Fixes issue with file names downloaded from FrostWire for Android.
· Fixes issue adding new radio stations to the library.
· Fix of MP3 ID3 tags unicode parsing.
July 6th, 2012
· Fixes incompatibilities with latest iTunes update
· Can export MP4 video to iTunes
· UX upgrades
July 6th, 2012
· New Feature: Export playlist to iTunes.
· Core upgrade: Better support for UTF-8 torrent contents.
· Faster startup time. No more waiting around 31% on splash screen.
May 11th, 2012
· Now with YouTube audio downloads
May 11th, 2012
· Drag and drop files and folders to your Android device running FrostWire.
· You can upload files to 3 different devices at the same time.
· Fixes glitch where the file explorer would reset the split pane position.
· Removes flickering on album arts when resizing library explorer
· When the FrostWire window is resized to be very small the search
· filters no longer overlap the "Open" and "Send to" buttons.
· Search box on the Library is now on the upper left and
· offers contextual hint.
· Search boxes everywhere now have a clear button.
· Playlists are now sorted alphabetically.
· Option panes UI upgrades.
· Better suggestion for a playlist name when a folder is dropped on
· "New Playlist".
· German translation updated.
· French translation updated.
· Norwegian translation updated.
· Dutch translation updated.
· Japanese translation updated.
· Filipino translation updated.
· Chinese (Hong Kong) translation updated.
· Chinese (Taiwan) translation updated.
· Chinese (Mainland) translation updated.
· Turkish translation updated.
· Portuguese (Brazilian) updated.
· Korean translation updated.
· Italian translation updated.
· Hindi translation updated.
March 27th, 2012
· New frostwire.exe launcher with extended Unicode support now able to handle .torrent file names with extended Unicode characters.
· Windows build is Windows 8 compatible.
· Windows build will prefer Java 7 if not JRE is found.
· Improvements when sending files on a local area network via magnet link
· or send file to friend.
· Bug fix when opening magnets from a website when FrostWire
· was already running.
· User experience improvements on the transfer manager.
· Spanish translation update (93% translated)
· YouTube video search and download support
March 12th, 2012
· Noticeable improvements in CPU performance.
· Noticeable improvements in search result quality.
· Updated TPB search to support magnet link search results.
· Added UT_METADATA extension to Vuze Core for improved magnet link support.
· Upgraded Lucene library to v3.5.0.
· Upgraded H2 to v1.3.164.
· When browsing FrostWire for Android devices (0.9.6+), date added and date modified fields are available on all file types.
February 13th, 2012
· Reverted H2 library to v1.3.160
February 13th, 2012
· Updated default album cover image with an anti-aliased frostwire sphere.
· Fixes bug where clicking on the current song would switch to the library but the button on the top would not be selected.
· Adds missing icon for "copy magnet" on Send file dialog.
· Library explorer and Playlist explorer are now divided by a split pane
· for a better experience.
· Hides hints popup when search is triggered with a mouse click.
· Updated search icon (magnifier).
· Fonts are reset when the setup wizard is shown so the wizard can work properly.
· New View > Reset Font Sizes action.
· The first time the Library button is used "Finished Downloads" is
· preselected to give the user a clue of what can be done.
· When a new playlist is created, a graphic is shown to hint the user about dragging audio files there.
· Updated H2 library to v1.3.164
February 13th, 2012
· Search form looks similar to FrostWire 4 but now allows user to search for more than one file type at once.
· Improvements in search algorithm.
· Send file/folder feature more effective between just 2 peers.
· Simplification of search form interface, looks similar to FrostWire 4
· Phone & Tablets tab is gone, integration with Android devices is now
· part of the Library under a "Devices" tree item.
· Browses, Streams audio, and downloads files made public by Android devices
· in the same network.
· When entering a search hints are shown to type less (powered by Google).
· Sorts transfers by "Seeds" correctly.
· Improvements on Library action buttons, now a "Launch" action is available
· and buttons are shown/hidden depending on context.
· Fixes bugs where files on a audio playlist could not be dragged out.
· Fixes bugs where deleted files would still appear on the library.
· When right clicking on selected finished transfers and copying an infohash
· you won't end up with a trailing newline on the clipboard.
· Sharing ratio of a torrent that you stopped and started seeding again
· will not be infinite and will be based on the total sizes of the files
· being shared.
· Now when the transfer split pane is dragged up, the pane border is painted
· correctly on top of the image overlay.
· Fixes repainting glitch when moving split pane on top of promotional
· Lots of icons have been revamped for a more uniform look.
· Null Pointer Exception issues #100, #103, #104.
· Fixes issue #93 chat action causing frostwire crash.
· Flickering issue on song progress bar resolved.
· Simplified torrent creation. User now doesn't have to make up her mind
· about choosing a file or a folder, the file selection dialog now handles this for her.
· Brought back "Stop" search button.
· Removed lingering "Show/Hide player" menu entry on status bar context menu.
· If seeding transfers are meant to be finished, newly finished transfers are not hidden for that session.
· Audio files can be launched using the operating system's default player
· Right click on a file "Launc in "
· Removed BTJunkie search engine.
· Added KickAssTorrents (kat.ph) search engine.
· Fixes issue where downloading removing a partial transfer would delete previously completed downloads of that same torrent.
November 29th, 2011
· Fixes bugs where some BitTorrent configuration settings were reset on startup.
November 29th, 2011
· Upload ratios will not be enforced to 30% of downloads anymore.
· Users will have free will to set the upload ratio of their preference.
· Update autodownload now supported for mac.
· Updates can now be distributed via both BitTorrent and HTTP.
· HttpFetcher improvements for less resource consumption.
· HttpFetcher now supports large HTTP file downlods (progressive download).
· Improvements to Send File to a friend.
· Fixes bug where some finished Downloads wouldn’t “Show in Library”
· Bug report system revised.
November 10th, 2011
· Enhancement: Lucene full text indexing for Smart Search database to allow for fuzzy searches.
· Enhancement: Lucene full text indexing for Library database allows better search results on Radio search and playlist search.
· Enhancement: Audio player will start playing currently selected audio source if it’s on a stopped state.
· Bug Fix: Finished Downloads shows only finished downloads.
November 7th, 2011
· Smart search updates uses less DHT resources and fixes logic bugs that results into faster and better search results.
· New Internet Radio functionality on the Library. Play, Add, Remove and bookmark your favorite Internet Radio Stations.
· Book/Document search now crawls for .cbr, .cbz, .cb7, .cbt and .cba file formats.
· New “Show in Library” action for finished transfers. It is now the default action when a finished transfer has been double clicked.
· Clicking on the currently played audio control should always take the user to the currently played audio file.
· Top Library tree nodes re-arranged.
· When downloading a single partial file, the transfer manager shows the proper icon based on the file type of the file being downloaded.
· Add partial downloads, and multiple transfers that contain audio files to playlists right from the transfer manager.
· The library can now be configured to scan any folder the user desires.
· Files can be added to playlists right out of search results.
· New explore action button on the Library tab.
· New send to friend action button on the Library tab.
· A lot of bug fixes.
November 3rd, 2011Huge improvements in search performance:
· If there’s a file indexed by a torrent, no matter how rare it is, it should be able to find it for you.
· Not only that, search results for individual files (indexed inside torrent) arrive noticeably faster.
· New: Internet Radio
· Added new Internet Radio support on the Library tab.
· FrostWire is pre-loaded with nearly 600 radio stations out of the box, you can add new stations, bookmark them and sort them by name, url, bit rate, audio file format, and more.
· User Experience Improvements
· Now when you finish a transfer, you can just double click on it, and all the files downloaded will be shown on the Library tab.
· If a transfer contains audio files, you can select it (along with other transfer that also contain audio files) and with the context menu you can send all the included audio files straight to a new playlist or an existing playlist on the library.
October 26th, 2011
· Change the order of an audio file on playlist with drag and drop.
· Change the order of multiple audio files on a playlist with drag and drop.
· Drop audio files and folders at a specific position inside a playlist.
· Remembers the column and order you last set on the transfer manager after restart.
· Remembers the last file type you searched for after restart.
· Bug fix, now if you're playing a song and you resort the playlist by any of the columns, the next song to be played will be the one below the current song in the new order.
· Searching inside "Finished Downloads" now yields folder names as search results.
· Fixes lingering popup menu issue.
October 26th, 2011
· Library tables are now cached in memory, searches are done in the cache
· speeding up the experience considerably for users with several thousand
· Create or add audio files to a playlist right from the Transfer manager.
· iTunes importing after audio transfers finish turned off by default.
· Completed transfers that contain at least one audio file can be sent
· to iTunes from the Transfer manager.
· Audio status component recognizes an Audio Stream, from an Audio file
· from an internet stream url. Clicking on it will take you to the
· Android Tab if it's an android stream or to the Library otherwise.
· Fixes issues with download mediator refresh.
· Fixes out of memory error.
· Real time UI feedback as audio files are being imported into playlist.
· F5, Cmd+R or Ctrl+R will refresh the current Library table
October 6th, 2011
· Play/Pause player buttons now share the same button depending on state.
· Pressing space bar pauses/resumes currently played audio.
· Playlist files can be sorted correctly by track number when available.
· FLAC playback support.
· When a playlist has finished importing files, it’s shown to the user.
· Transfer manager remembers the position of its JSplitPane.
· Transfer manager sorts downloads by default based on their creation date.
· Transfer manager has new column “Started On” showing the date the transfer
· first started.
· Drag and drop issues on playlist component for Mac OSX fixed.
· Partial download dialog table can adjust column widths, a horizontal
· scrollbar will appear if the sum of the columns is wider than the dialog.
· When playing an audio file, if it gets deleted FROM DISK from inside
· FrostWire, the audio file will stop playing.
· Files can be dragged to the “Starred” playlist and they will be marked
· as starred. If files are dragged from Disk, creating a new playlist
· will be offered, and all the elements on the playlist will be starred.
· Files can be deleted from the “Starred” playlist. This will cause the
· files to be unstarred on every other playlist where they belong.
· The tables on the library remember the last position of their scrollbars
· during the session.
· Double clicking on a playlist name starts editing the playlist name.
· Fixes bug where downloading an individual file in a torrent wouldn’t
· be marked in the search results as downloading.
· Fixes a memory leak when importing ID3 tags into a playlist.
· Fixes bug where the duration of an MP3 file wasn’t calculated correctly
· by MPlayer, duration is now being calculated with Java library.
· Fixes bug where it would import torrent skipped files to iTunes.
September 30th, 2011
· Added a brand new Library and media player
August 25th, 2011
· Bug fix where it would not index torrents when the file type filter was in use.
· Bug fix when downloading a secondary file from the second torrent download would not start and would appear as seeding.
· Cleans all empty folders created by a partial download once the download is removed from the transfer manager.
· Fixes issue with transfer manager resetting the order of columns.
August 20th, 2011
· FrostWire now finds single files that match your searches.
· FrostWire learns as you use it to deliver instant single file search results (under 100ms on average, but you’ll see a lot of search results appearing under 5ms)
August 20th, 2011
· Search results now arrive under 200ms, aka, Instant Search.
· New FrostWire "Smart Torrent" search. FrostWire will search inside
· top matching torrents for individual files matching the current query.
· Core upgrade, if a .torrent fails to download from its HTTP location
· FrostWire will download it from the DHT if it can find it there.
· Functionality to see the size of the Search DB and to reset it.
· UX upgrade, ability to hide/show seeding torrents on transfer manager.
· UX upgrade, Phone & Tablets desktop explorer asks before deleting files.
· UX upgrade, New file "Extension" column on search results.
· UX upgrade, Search tabs now have animated indicator to let user know
· a search is still going on.
· UX upgrade, New filter by file type. Filter controls re-arranged.
· UX fix, search results can now be sorted by file type.
· TPB has been added to the list of search engines.
· Mininova is back.
July 7th, 2011
· UX bugfix, fixes possible UI freeze on startup.
· UX bugfix, sending songs to iTunes is now done in a single process.
July 5th, 2011
· UX upgrade, send file or send folder support when a file or folder is dropped on FrostWire.
· UX upgrade, file choosing dialogs on Mac now also show mounted volumes.
July 3rd, 2011
· New feature, Send file. Available on File Menu and Transfer Manager.
· New feature, Send folder. Available on File Menu and Transfer Manager.
· UX upgrade, we now have a [+] icon next to search result file names to show partial download dialog.
· UX upgrade, when a partial download is cancelled, the entry is removed from transfers.
· UX update on partial download dialog. Includes new text filter.
· UX fix, Library search now also looks for .torrents on “Torrents” folder.
· Fixes bug, incomplete files are no longer exported to iTunes playlist.
· UX update, Help Menu now says “Sharing Help”. Items rearranged.
· UX update, rearranged View options into single panel.
· UX update, torrent seeding settings are now a control of its own with an explanation of what seeding is.
· UX update, the installation wizard now forces the user to decide if she wants to seed or not seed to continue. Links to what is seeding are in place.
· UX update, in Windows and Linux, when the user Xs the window the user is explained that the application will be hidden and is given the option to exit.
· UX bugfix, font size can now be increased.
June 10th, 2011
· Fixes a possible freeze reported by some users when the configuration wizard is shown.
· Fixes issue when a user changes default Gnutella Save Folder and unchecks Sharing finished downloads. Individually shared files from the old Save Folder would still be shared.
· Now all individually shared files will be unshared if you uncheck this setting.
· Now users don’t have to re-start to stop seeding after they’ve changed their torrent Seeding Configuration. All torrents old and new will stop seeding as soon as the setting is applied.
· Better wording to explain on which networks files are being shared on, Gnutella or BitTorrent.
· Changed color of “Sharing Options” gear icon to blue, gray icon may have seemed as if the button was disabled.
· Added “Sharing Options” gear button on Search Tab. It’s only visible once a search has been started.
· Added Help Menu options to learn about how to share/unshare files, torrent seeding, and how to avoid being scammed into paying for
June 10th, 2011
· Makes sure cancelling torrents that have finished are not deleted.
· Folders created by torrents that are cancelled during download are deleted to avoid any unwanted file sharing.
· Fixes a bug when migrating from an older version of FrostWire on which previously Saved and individually shared files would still be shared after not sharing finished downloads on the migration wizard.
· Fixes a bug on configuration screens that could make the application freeze for a few seconds before moving towards the next screen.
· Migration wizard will always be shown to make sure users are aware of what they’re sharing.
· Sharing completed files is always set to off by default on the configuration wizard.
June 10th, 2011
· Fixes a bug where some Debian systems that didn’t support the Icon Tray would crash on startup.
· Fixes a bug where running FrostWire for the very first time (and later) display Uploads number -1 in the bottom status bar.
· UX improvement Junk & Block. When marking Junk Results UI offers to block malicious hosts that haven’t blocked already.
· Policy update, Incomplete files are not shared by default to avoid sharing files you started downloading and didn’t want.
· Policy update, Finished downloads are not shared by default to avoid confusion between files on Shared folder versus files on Save folder.
· UX improvement, better explanation and option to turn on/off individual sharing of finished downloads (that end up in Saved Folder) during FrostWire setup wizard.
· UX improvement, when user turns off Finished Download sharing those files that were shared as individual files inside the ‘Saved Folder’ will not be shared anymore.
· UX improvement, File menu now has option to Exit FrostWire completely.
· UX improvement, File menu now says “Open Torrent/Magnet” instead of “Download Torrent/Magnet” for clarity.
· Bug Fix: The Torrent Save folder is now considered correctly, now users can set a Torrent Save folder on external drives.
· Bug Fix: Slideshow component had an issue where it would not update correctly the URL of the currently displayed slice if it had issues fetching the image file, this could in turn sometimes cause 100% CPU utilization.
March 23rd, 2011
· Addresses folder sharing and torrent seeding issues
December 3rd, 2008
· Fixes a newly introduced bug in Windows which would make FrostWire(tm) take over the .bittorrent file association without asking the user.
· Reduces DHT network load. The LimeWire team found out that the Mojito “store forwarding” feature would not provide extra data availability, so it’s been turned off from the DHT on all new FrostWires.
· FrostWire.ico has been updated. Now when FrostWire(tm) is associated to .bittorrent files, .bittorrent files will use the FrostWire(tm) icon.