New in version 220.127.116.11
November 4th, 2013
- New Released:
- RetroUI Pro version 4.0.0, which is now fully compatible with Windows 8.1
- Integrated skip metro technology to be compatible with Windows 8.1
- Removed Enforce™ to maintain compatibility with Windows 8.1
- Updated Metro app icons and colors
- Updated multi-user profile technology to be compatible with Windows 8.1
- Updated the check for updates code to be compatible with Windows 8 / 8.1
- Updated installer OS detection
- Modified database schema to include OS version flag for Metro app icon cache
- Updated Polish translation for "Close"
New in version 18.104.22.168 (June 14th, 2013)
- Update: Modified Start button icons and associated corresponding graphics within the configuration application
New in version 22.214.171.124 (May 14th, 2013)
- Fix: Fixed analytics bug in POST message where the product id was not being sent correctly
- Fix: Fixed string parsing bug in analytics/ads code where if an '=' was used it would not return the correct values
New in version 126.96.36.199 (May 8th, 2013)
- Note: RetroUI Pro v3.1.8 corrects a few small bugs in the settings application which were introduced in v3.1.7, and corrects a minor issue with search. v3.1.8 is mature and stable
- Fix: Fixed visual bug in Settings app where scroll bar was off the page in Windows 7 Start Menu Settings. This bug did not permit users to modify all Start menu settings because the settings were not visible within the settings application.
- Fix: Fixed visual bug in Settings app where scroll bar was off the page in Enforce Keyboard Shortcuts. This bug did not permit users to modify all function keys because the settings were not visible within the settings application.
- Fix: Fixed bug where search results cache was not updating when new software is installed.
New in version 188.8.131.52 (April 25th, 2013)
- New: Search optimization now allows searching for file names such as CMD (cmd.exe), or other file names that do not correlate to the application name
- Fix: Corrected bug where Enforce did not start when Modern UI Start menu was selected.
- Fix: Corrected bug where deselecting ‘Show Metro Apps in the Start Menu’ in the settings application did not fully disable Metro App enumeration.
New in version 184.108.40.206 (April 6th, 2013)
- Fix: Correct minor icon alignment issue. If the taskbar was docked left or right and the taskbar icon size was set to small, improper padding caused the icon to be incorrectly centered.
- Fix: Correct minor text justification issue. When start menu was docked right, shutdown options in the Start menu were aligned right, instead of being aligned left.
New in version 220.127.116.11 (April 6th, 2013)
- New: Includes LogonAnimationTool.exe which allows users to easily turn-off the Windows 8 tutorial which runs each time a new user logs in
- Update: Functionality related to Enterprise deployment of RetroUI Pro
- New: Tightly integrated with RetroUI Enterprise Deployment Tool v3.1.5 which is now available to Business and Education license holders. In Enterprise applications, imaging technology is often used to create a base-image and then clone that image onto multiple PCs. This technology can be used on stand-alone PCs or can be used in the process used to create a master base image which is used on multiple PCs. With this, multiple users on each PC can inherit customized settings and customized pinned favorites
- New: Implemented new technology to prompt each new user on a PC if they want the Start button added to their Taskbar. That functionality was recently removed from RetroUI, to correct a bug that did not allow users to answer ‘no’ to the do you want a Start button question. This fix now fully fixes both issues, and allows RetroUI Pro to prompt new users as they login for the first time if they want a Start button
- New: Added functionality to the Start button to not allow right-click/properties if the configuration is locked
- Fix: Switch-user bug in Windows 8 Standard
- Fix: Close Start menu after sleep was selected from the Start menu. This corrected other issues resulting from Start menu not being closed
- Fix: Issue with Taskbar not refreshing in certain situations
- Update: User experience with the RetroUI Start menu and TabletView buttons open/close behavior. Now, if Start menu is open and TabletView button is clicked it will open TabletView, and vise-versa
- Update: Startup which makes the Start menu available more quickly and addresses an issue with a black-screen freeze that could occur immediately after login if the Start button was clicked multiple times before the Start menu was fully initialized
- Update: Logoff option in the Start menu to close the start menu prior to sending the logoff command
- Update: Addressed and partially corrected an issue resulting in the first Start button click after boot being lost in certain situations
New in version 18.104.22.168 (March 26th, 2013)
- Fix: Corrected issue with TabletView icon in the Taskbar being clipped (cut-off) when the taskbar is located on the left or right sides of the screen.
- Fix: Corrected a sorting issue in the All Programs view in the Start menu. This caused applications with upper case and lower case names to be sorted independently. This update corrects the sorting issue.
New in version 22.214.171.124 (March 22nd, 2013)
- Fix: Implemented a critical fix, which affected the performance of RetroUI Pro. In certain situations such as, screen mirroring, some gaming software, or conferencing (GoToMeeting) was active would result in poor frame-rates and/or choppy graphics. This issue made the screen capture erratic. This correction makes the RetroUI Start menu more responsive & fully corrects a key issue that affected system stability. For this reason, we recommend that users upgrade to this version when possible.
- New: Implemented new technology allowing RetroUI Pro to start faster from a cold boot.
- New: Users can now right click the Start button or the TabletView icon to open the RetroUI settings application.
- New: Users can now right click the Start button or the TabletView icon to open the RetroUI settings application.
- Fix: Corrected an issue when switching between a local user session and an RDP session where the shutdown options in the Start menu would not refresh.
- Update: RetroUI Icon used for the Start button changed to button-style.
- Update: Windows 8 Store App technology.
New in version 126.96.36.199 (March 14th, 2013)
- New: Added a new feature allowing the user to set the default shutdown action. Options include: Shutdown, Restart, Log off, Sleep, or Lock. These settings observe group policies and also change dynamically within an RDP session just as they do within Windows 7.
- New: Added a new feature which allows the user to specify the number of pinned items to show in the start menu. This option can make the Start menu taller to accommodate more pinned items in the Start menu on high resolution monitors. For example on a 1920x1200 display – (30) items can be displayed without needing to scroll up/down to find pinned favorites.
- New: Added caching technology to the Start menu, allowing the Start menu to start, up to 80% faster than v3.0.x. This setting helps even low power devices with large numbers of applications to load in just seconds.
- Fix: Adjusted Search settings within the Start menu to wait before initiating auto-search. This allows users more time to complete typing their search query before the search is automatically initiated.
- Fix: Help balloons within RetroUI Settings app to be more consistent.
- Fix: Corrected an issue in Enforce, where opening a Metro App then closing the App, then re-opening the same Metro App caused the App not to be properly resized by Enforce.
- Fix: Corrected transparency issue in the Start menu where clicking the whitespace next to an item in the all programs view didn’t open the application.
- Fix: Corrected issue where the Start menu was appearing in Alt-Tab list.
- Fix: Corrected minor issue where task-switcher was not activated correctly by the button in the Start menu.
New in version 188.8.131.52 (March 7th, 2013)
- New: Features significant internal improvements and optimizations in the Start Menu which is now faster & uses up to 35% fewer system resources.
- New: Added configuration file option for debug/logging.
- New: Changed .ini file values to allow splash screen maximum on-screen time to be specified if desired.
- Fix: Speed issue enumerating Metro apps, now 50% faster.
New in version 184.108.40.206 (March 6th, 2013)
- Note: RetroUI Pro v3.1.0 features an internally redesigned Start menu which loads faster and consumes fewer system resources. It also allows users of slower computers to disable showing Metro Apps, but still allows those apps to be pinned – making it faster when used on slower hardware. Enterprise customers will also be interested that Metro Apps can now be disabled if Metro Apps are not needed by end users.
- New: Enterprise customers can now edit the Start menu configuration file and can set a state of ‘locked’ which prevents end users from adding, removing or rearranging items in the Start menu.
- New: RetroUI Pro v3.1.0 features significant internal improvements and optimizations in the Start Menu which is now faster & uses up to 35% fewer system resources.
- New: Splash screen which indicates Start Menu is loading to the end-user.
- New: Adding blank buttons in TabletView, user experience improvement.
- New: Added ability to not show Metro Apps within the Start Menu. This allows users who do not wish to enumerate or pin Windows 8 Store (Metro) Apps to disable this feature. This feature is useful on some devices where App enumeration causes the Start menu to load slowly. Apps which are pinned before this feature is disabled, will remain pinned and can be used as normal. Using this feature, Enterprise customers can control which apps are available to end users in the Start menu.
- Fix: Enhanced enterprise feature of locked configuration files that allowed users to unpin items from the Start menu or TabletView even if the start menu was locked from the all programs view.
- Fix: Corrected visual bug switching between Start Menu and Tablet View.
- Fix: Minor issue with Enforce where hotkey to save window position was not enabled.
New in version 220.127.116.11 (March 6th, 2013)
- Note: v3.0.2 has only a few minor changes from v3.0.0 / v3.0.1, there is little reason to update to 3.0.2 from 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 unless you are having problems installing RetroUI Pro. The primary reason for this update was to release a patch that corrects issues where some machines were installing to the root of one of the drives, such as c:\ or f:\ instead of c:\program files\
- Fix: Changed installer manifest to correct a rare problem that installed RetroUI to an incorrect location.
- Fix: Modified system service to improve resiliency in registry handling, this automatically detects and corrects erroneous registry entries created when RetroUI incorrectly installed to the wrong path.
- Fix: Modified file system monitoring algorithm to prevent rapid triggering of Start menu refresh events. Increasing performance.
- Fix: Tweaked Enterprise lock functionality, so that the Start menu will recognize and enforce a locked status. This allows enterprise deployments where end-users are prevented from modifying the start menu.
New in version 18.104.22.168 (March 6th, 2013)
- NoteL v3.0.1 has only a few minor changes from v3.0.0, there is little reason to update to 3.0.1 from 3.0.0
- New: Add recent items button to start menu and add to settings app (default on).
- New: Add ‘homegroup’ button to start menu and settings app (default off).
- New: Added option to unpin a program from all programs view.
- New: Re-order items in start menu to exactly match the order of the Windows 7 Start Menu.
- Fix: Eliminated two somewhat obscure bugs with start menu item pinning.
- Fix: Correct a one-pixel positioning gap when start menu is docked-left or docked-right.
New in version 22.214.171.124 (March 6th, 2013)
- New: Added Windows-7 Style Start Menu with integrated search, right click context menus, drag and drop.
- New: Added RetroUI SuperSize feature that lets Apps span across multiple monitors.
- New: The Start Menu adjusts its color to your Windows 8 color pallet.
- New: Entirely new Metro App launcher allows all Metro Apps to be launched from the Start Menu and TabletView.
- New: You can now set the starting size of a Metro App as a percentage of the desktop.
- New: Added feature that provides Aero-snap like capabilities to Apps (snap to half-screen).
- New: Automatic update checking is now integrated into RetroUI.
- Fix: The Start Menu and Enforce features have been improved to run faster.
- Fix: Pressing the Windows key on the keyboard returns user to classic desktop from anywhere.
- Fix: The Start Menu and Enforce now works with all Taskbar configurations.
- Fix: TabletView's look has been enhanced.
- Fix: Visual enhancements in Enforce.
- Fix: Skipping the Start Screen is now faster at login.
- Fix: Improved multi-user support.
- Fix: Improved multi-monitor support.
New in version 2.3.0 (December 22nd, 2012)
- The Windows key on the keyboard can now be configured to Open/Close the RetroUI Start menu from within the classic desktop. When this feature is enabled, users can easily return to the classic Windows desktop from Metro — Simple!
- Within Classic Desktop - Windows key opens/closes RetroUI Start menu
- Within Metro - Windows key returns to classic desktop
- Background: Without RetroUI, the Windows key has a behavior which is confusing to many users. This powerful feature in RetroUI makes Windows 8 easier to use! No more getting stuck in Windows 8 Store Apps or in the Windows 8 Start Screen - just press the Windows key to return to the classic desktop.
- Details: When this feature is enabled, users can still return to the Windows 8 Start Screen by pressing the Metro icon in the RetroUI Start Menu or by pressing Control+Escape on the keyboard.
- Adds support for moving the primary taskbar onto any monitor in multi-monitor configurations. This allows complete flexibility in the use of RetroUI Pro on multi-monitor configurations.
- Added support for 10 additional languages, bringing the total supported languages to 33. Added: Bulgarian (Български), Greek (Ελληνικά), Haitian Creole (Kreyòl Ayisyen), Indonesian (Indonesia), Latvain (Latvain), Lithuanian (Lietuvių), Slovenian (slovenščina), Thai (ไทย), Ukrainian (українська), Vietnamese (Việt Nam).
- Bug fixes:
- Corrected a bug causing the RetroUI Start menu to crash when launching escalated processes from the start menu which were not pinned.
- Corrected jitter issue with animation storyboard in Start Menu — increasing performance.
- Modified the animation time for StartMenu storyboard (making Start Menu faster)
- Implemented new technology which makes Start Menu much-much faster in enumerating the underlying file system.
- Resulting in improved performance and immediate detection of newly installed software/entries in the start menu.
- Modified settings application to notify users of DPI issues and the requirement to 'Use Windows XP style scaling'. If non-standard DPI settings are used with Enforce. Modified settings application to allow Windows key to be enabled/disabled
- Modified the Settings application description of the 'Terminate/Disable' Metro feature, and linked the 'Terminate/Disable' feature to several other features in the Settings application which are enabled/disabled by using this option.
- Updated the Enterprise command-line deployment application to include new features and options available in the GUI version of the Settings Application.
- Corrected initial positioning bug in RetroUI, where the start menu started opened in an incorrect position the first time it was opened, and then moved into position. This is now done in the background.
- Corrected minor issue with icon clipping in the StartMenu.
- Corrected issues with Enforce, in the saving of the Metro version of Internet Explorer window positions.
- Corrected issues with Enforce related to resizing and other functions on the Metro version of Internet Explorer.
- Modified the installer to remove / cleanup stored window positions due to the problem that multiple window positions were stored for different websites for the Metro version of Internet Explorer