May 13th, 2013
· This update improves the quality and stability of the application.
April 30th, 2013Issues fixed in this release:
· Calling: Ability to call is disabled in some situations when trying to call a number
· Calling: Stability of the application when placing outgoing calls & no camera present in system
March 14th, 2013
· Accessibility: Start screen sharing pop-up was not accessible.
· Tooltips: Tooltips were not properly displayed on monitor setups other than 32bit.
· Profile: Seldomly profile edits were not saved.
· Accessibility: Incoming contact request details where not accessible.
· Add contact: Add contact dialogue was not correctly displayed on multi monitor setup.
· File sending: On some cases when editing received filename the file extension was lost.
· Snapshots: Skype froze when opening snapshot gallery with large amount of pictures.
· Calling: IM button sometimes did not work during call in case call window was at minimum size.
· Compact view: Profile window on compact view did not downscale.
· Localization: Call toolbar texts did not fit onto screen on some languages.
· Call Quality Guide: Call Quality Guide window was sometimes partially hidden.
· Avatar picture change: Non-square pictures were not properly scaled on when user set them as avatar picture.
· Accessibility: Option to choose how message will be sent was not always reachable by keyboard.
· File sending: When clicking „Save as“ button on received file in compact mode it brought into focus Skype main window, instead of file saving dialogue.
February 13th, 2013Changes in comparison with previous release:
· New top toolbar with all major actions together in one place.
· Send eGift to friend who has a birthday
· Added option to send IM with ctrl+enter.
· Computers with Intel Pentium 3 or similar CPU’s, which do not support SSE2 instructions, are not supported anymore.
· Profile: Profile country setting did not get saved
· Accessibility: Some fields in incoming contact requests were not accessible.
· Add contact: Adding a contact window was misplaced on multi-monitor setup
· File sending: Changing received file name removed file extension.
January 11th, 2013It's easy to get in touch:
· We have integrated Skype and Outlook to display contacts' online status, contact information and mood message within the Outlook contact card.
Call any phone:
· When you want to call someone on their mobile or landline from Outlook, Skype will initiate the call for you. You can call anyone as long as you have their contact information in Outlook, but you don't need to be friends on Skype. You can use your existing Skype credit or subscription to reach them.
Stay in touch with your Skype contacts:
· When you want to contact anyone in your Outlook contact list who is already on Skype, you can instant message, audio or video call them. To do so they need to be in your Skype contacts list to reach them.
· This feature works with Outlook 2010 or higher and enables you to connect over Skype when email details match.
Add a new contact:
· We have made adding a contact easier than ever. You can now add someone by searching for them directly out of your contacts list. If they're not in your contact list yet, results will come up so you can add them in 2 clicks.
New profile with more accessible account information:
· Finally, we have updated the account information area to make it easier to navigate around your account data.
November 14th, 2012What's new:
· Microsoft and Facebook Account Integration Sign up and sign-in is easier than ever. You can now sign into Skype using your Microsoft or Facebook account - there's no need to create a new Skype account. This makes it even easier to connect with friends on Skype without having to set up another account.
· IM friends on Messenger Now you can instant message your Windows Live Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook.com contacts via Skype all in one place. If you use a Microsoft account today, merging your accounts is easy - just sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account.
· Calling with Messenger friends is coming soon We're working on polishing a feature which will enable audio and video calls to Windows Live Messenger customers using Skype desktop clients. The feature will be available in coming weeks.
· Skype localized to six more languages We are excited to support our growing community around the world with new localized versions of Skype in Thai, Croatian, Slovenian, Serbian, Catalan and Slovak, bringing the total languages Skype supports to 38.
· Visual user interface refresh We have refreshed and flattened the Skype UI with a simpler and less cluttered look. We have updated the look of the instant messaging and SMS areas as well.
· Removal of online user count We have removed the online user counter at the bottom of your Skype Contacts list to unclutter the UI and make more space for your friends within the contacts list.
· Display previously created profile pictures When you change your profile picture, we will now show you all of your previous Skype profile pictures so you don't have to look through old files if you want to use a previous image.
· Improved telemetry We are constantly looking for ways to improve the quality of our product. To that end we are adding additional "opt-in" telemetry reports for users who choose this option: "Tools>> Options>>Advanced>>Tick "Help improve Skype..." The reports may contain your Skype ID and or Microsoft Account ID but we will not use it to identify or contact you.
September 14th, 2012Added beta support for:
· Sharing Instant Messages with friends with Messenger You can now sign in with your Microsoft account (formerly Windows Live ID), and see presence as well as send and receive IM messages from your friends who are using Messenger, Xbox, Hotmail or Outlook.com.
· Improved Facebook integration You can now sign in directly with your Facebook account log in, without needing to first create a Skype account.
· Support for 6 new languages We are excited to support our growing community around the world with new localized versions of Skype in Thai, Croatian, Slovenian, Serbian, Catalan and Slovak, bringing the total languages Skype supports to 38.
Added new features and minor improvements:
· Sign in with a Microsoft or Facebook account. You can now sign into Skype directly using a Microsoft or Facebook account, without having to first create a Skype account, making it easier to connect with friends on Skype without needing to setup a new Skype account.
· Link Microsoft and Facebook accounts to a Skype account. If you sign in with a Microsoft or Facebook account you will be offered the option to link your Skype account. If you choose the link option then Skype will display a combined list of friends. This is an area we are still working through so please let us know about your experience.
· Updated visual design. We have refreshed and flattened the Skype UI with a simpler and less cluttered look.
· Removal of the online user count. We have removed the online user counter at the bottom of your Skype Contacts list to unclutter the UI and make more space for your friends within the contacts list.
· Display previously created profile pictures. When you change your profile picture, we will now show you all of your previous Skype profile pictures so you don't have to look through old files if you want to use a previous image.
· Improved telemetry. We are constantly looking for ways to improve the quality of our product. To that end we are adding additional "opt-in" telemetry reports for users who choose this option: "Tools>> Options>>Advanced>>Tick "Help improve Skype..." The reports may contain your Skype ID and or Microsoft Account ID but we will not use it to identify you or contact you.
July 17th, 2012
· IM: Skype client crashes during a Skype IM session, which may in some cases result in the last IM entered or sent prior to the crash being delivered to a different IM contact after the Skype client is rebooted or logged in as a new user.
· File Sending: It was not possible to save files sent on Hard Disk Drive formatted to FAT32 format
July 5th, 2012
· bug fixes and stability improvements
June 14th, 2012Improvements:
· Select and pin your favorite contacts
· Facebook and Skype contacts combined into one Contacts list
· Easier to understand premium subscription notices
· Possibility to control Skype video rendering technology for backward compatibility for people who have trouble with video calls
Additional Fixed Issues:
· Skype crashed when exiting Skype during a screen sharing session
· Video calls with iOS devices may sometimes have been displayed improperly
· Video calls did not always resume on the Call Monitor after a screen sharing session
· Call Monitor was not always closed at the end of a call
· Transferred files with names in Korean characters were not displayed correctly
June 7th, 2012
· Skype used excess amount of system resources on Windows 8 Release Preview
May 8th, 2012
· Sign-In: Issues with login window for some users
April 12th, 2012Improvements:
· A new confirmation message when sending a contact to a group conversation
· A new Hotkey for taking snapshots during video calls
· Improved non-standard international phone number recognition for Australian users
· The ability to opt-out from silent updates
· Screen sharing: Red contours shared window had defects when moving the window around
· Screen sharing: It was not possible to initiate screen sharing session when user was in invisible state
· Video: Webcam in use message was not displayed properly
· Profile: It was not possible to change on your own profile your phone numbers country code
· Generic: Skype crashed when pressing "esc" while editing contacts phone number
· Video: Video preview did not close after switching the video off
· Calling: Add people to call did not list contacts from other contact list than currently active
· Accessibility: When receiving multiple files at once the file
· Options: Seldom expanding options sub menus did not work
· Group conversations: Sometimes instead of contacts full name a Skype name was shown instead on group calls
· Generic: On two monitor setup when switching from default mode to compact mode Skype was put to secondary monitor
· Localization: Localization to all languages updated
March 7th, 2012
· Calling: 180° rotation of video call with Samsung Galaxy S 4G running Skype for Android
· Calling: Automatic unmute of calls that have been reconnected even though interface showed mute was still applied
February 22nd, 2012
· Generic: Fix crash bug
· Login: Improved messaging for blocked users
February 2nd, 2012Full HD video-calling:
· Now you can make crystal clear video-calls with your loved ones or business contacts by utilizing the latest technology for Skype and Logitech, which is incorporated into the latest update to Skype for Windows and the Logitech C920 webcam.
· Video encoding is done inside the camera and enables full HD and HD video quality with older computers. To enjoy full HD quality at its best, you will need at least a 2 Mbps upload/download speed.
Group screen share:
· Group screen sharing allows users to share their entire screen or a single application window with other participants on a conference call while continuing to stream video. To start a group screen share, choose the + menu during a call and select "share my screen."
Video calling to Facebook users:
· Now you can make video calls with all of your friends on Facebook, even if they aren't Skype users. To start a video call with a Facebook friend, select the person in your list and click "video call."
Push to Talk:
· We have introduced a "Push to Talk" feature in Skype. Many people who are playing multiplayer games have requested this feature, which allows users to set a hotkey to toggle microphone muting on a Skype call. You can set the "Push to Talk" up on the hotkey's selection under tools > options > advanced > hotkeys.
Features and improvements:
· Hide offline Facebook contacts
· Skype updater service
· Bing Toolbar integration
January 13th, 2012Fixed:
· Group Video Calling: Additional contact card was shown on a Group Video Call with screen sharing
· Crash: Skype crashed when copying a PowerPoint slide into IM
· Facebook calling: Improved Facebook calling reliability by fixing numerous bugs
November 17th, 2011
· Users can now make Facebook-to-Facebook video calls within Skype, making it even easier to connect with one’s Facebook friends!
October 14th, 2011
· Removed Google product bundling
· Added attribution of used third party software
September 30th, 2011
· Screen sharing improvements
· New 'getting started' experience
· Small changes to the call controls
· The 'Call Phones' button has been moved
· Updated 'Click to Call' browser plugins
· In call advertising
· 'Skype Home' UI improvements in compact mode
· Share your thoughts about this new version on our Support Network or in case you see the odd issue then please report it to us on our public issue tracker.
September 14th, 2011
· Introduced Microsoft Windows 8 support
September 2nd, 2011Fixed issues:
· Automatic sign-in did not work
· Updated the bundled Google toolbar
August 24th, 2011
· 'Call' technical info showed frame-rate incorrectly at 60 instead of 30
· Sometimes Facebook contacts where shown with "?" when there was trouble with Facebook connectivity
· Sometimes the video froze while making a videocall to some older Skype versions on Windows or Mac.
· Sometimes Skype crashed while making a videocall to some older Skype versions
August 2nd, 2011
· Resolves Skype login issue for new installations that have UDP blocked on the network
· Resolves video calling issue on some HP/Palm devices
July 28th, 2011
· Skype to Facebook instant messaging
· New and updated emoticons
· New login experience
· Improved call controls
· Improved video calling reliability
· Simplified installer flow
· Avatar selection improved
· Video snapshot capture improvements
· Changed group conversations profile area
· Plus several bug fixes
June 20th, 2011New features in this version:
· See Facebook friends in your Skype contact list
· Instant message with your Facebook friends
· Easier, smarter call controls
April 21st, 2011
· Contacts list: Skype was adding echo123 to the contact list on every Skype startup
· Video Calling: Skype video was freezing sometimes on group video calls.
· Friend Finder: Skype seldom crashed when adding a friend
· Skype Home and Facebook Channel: Skype displayed "script error" pop-ups sometimes to the user
April 7th, 2011Feature improvements:
· Improved quality of video received from Skype on mobile devices
· Skype shows users' presence icons on collapsed contact profile cards
· Conversation topic editing button is now always available on the conversation header
· If a phone number is added to a profile after a failed call attempt, Skype starts a call automatically
· Automatically switch to SMS entry after user adds mobile phone number to profile after failing to send SMS due to lack of phone number
· Video: Video sending was sometimes not started if user had set computer to auto-answer and to start sending video.
· Outlook contacts: Outlook contacts without country code gave an error message triggered error message when trying to call them after adding country code
· Call Quality Indicator: Two call Quality Indicators were opened if user change from default mode to compact mode when Call Quality Indicator was visible.
· Call Phones: Call Phones number suggestion made it hard to call short numbers
· Instant Messaging: Long, not yet sent, IM entry was getting deleted when switching to SMS mode in conversation
· Call Phones: SMS button for emergency numbers was not disabled
· Screen sharing: In case user who is not in your contact list tried to share a screen with you and then receiver declined, the sender was still seeing that he is sharing a screen.
· Calling: In compact mode call was not sent to full screen if user chose it from the main menu.
· Calling: No credits popup on failed call showed rates for users default country and not a country where he tried to call.
· Call Phones: Call phones localizations did not fit into user interface in some languages
· Contact list: It was not possible to delete contacts from the contact list by pressing 'delete' key on keyboard
· Instant Messaging: When replacing a quote with a new quote then all the further messages sent to conversation appeared as quotes.
· Screen sharing: It was not possible to stop a screen sharing on a recovered call.
· File sending: Cancelling file transfer dialog was not correctly displayed in Right-To-Left languages.
· Profile: Adding a number to contacts profile played a windows default error sound sound
· Accessibility: Adding people to ongoing call did not indicate which persons are selected already.
· Accessibility: Sending contacts windows did not indicate which contacts are selected.
March 16th, 2011Improvements:
· Modified call phones dialogue with integrated contact number search
· New presence-aware call button, including a drop-down of associated contact numbers
· Modified presence icons, to better indicate contact's availability status
· Improved call handling when you run out of credit
· New simple button to share files and contacts
· Improvements to help you find active calls
· New look for the contact profile area
February 11th, 2011Improvements:
· New presence icons
· Improved handling of calling attempts made when the user has run out of credit
· Improved access to sharing functionality
· Accessibility: Accessibility on Call Quality Indicator was not complete
· Call Quality Indicator: Seldom Call Quality notifications could have been displayed for very short time
· Call Quality Indicator: Network connection indicator stayed red even after network connection had recovered
· Call view: Automatic call failure re-connection showed wrongly other sides name
· Calling: Missed call to online number did not display caller number
· Contact list: While browsing contact list in compact mode conversations were mistakenly opened sometimes
· Generic: Resolved many issues with right to left language displaying
· Recent list: It was possible to add to contacts unknown phone number
· Skype Home: Users avatar change was not showed out to himself on profile area until Skype was restarted
· Welcome Screen: Test call was ended when user returned to Welcome Screen
· Video: Video warning message was not displayed if webcam was in use by other application
· Video in mood: Video in mood had artifacts while displaying in profile area
January 31st, 2011
· Video calling: Video was not started when making numerous video calls during one Skype session
· General: Skype was crashing on startup for some users
· Call transfer: When transferring Skype call to a phone contact then phone contact was unable to hear audio
· Options: When giving and removing access to Skype for other programs then Skype crashed
January 7th, 2011New features:
· Group video calling out of Beta
· Improved surfacing of 'Add Contact' and 'Create a Group' functions
· Video calls now always start in 640x480 resolution
· Video calls on powerful computers start in 30 frames per second mode
· Skype failed to detect screen reader software
· Accessibility fix for selecting chat messages
· Improved scaling for low resolution displays
· Call quality feedback form was nor properly displayed in Arabic and Hebrew
· Unplugging a audio device in use during a call was not handled properly, Skype could have crashed or then did not switch to remaining audio device
· Call Quality Indicator was sometimes displayed partly out of the screen
· On clicking Call Quality tray alert message then the call quality indicator was not focused on compact mode
· Rarely Call Quality indicator reported a good internet connection to user when he actually did not had a working connection
· Skype crashed when transferring already transferred call
· Ampersands were not displayed properly in callview
· Incoming call notification after recently ended previous call had wrong messaging
· Call Toolbar did not re-appear when critical issue was discovered during a call
· On call recovery sometimes call view settings were changed
· Enabling Skype's Microphone controlling feature did not take effect during active call when microphone was muted
· Audio playback from devices which used 16k or 32k sampling rate was choppy
· Skype audio was played back only from right ear-piece with Logitech headsets G35 and G930
· Skype window on dual monitor configuration was not remembered when using compact mode
· Skype crashed when quiting it in middle of Group Video call
· After holding and resuming a Group Video call sometimes not all video streams were resumed
· Open chats were not cleared after deleting chat history from Options
· User selected ringing device was sometimes changed to speaker device
· Clipped receive files folder name in IM settings
· SMS options text did not fit to screen on some languages
· Skype crashed on audio devices changing in options when user selected some specific device affected with the issue
· Improved scrolling profile area while in edit mode
· Welcome screen test call button was not accessible for screen readers
· Take a video snapshot button did not work on Welcome Screen
· Seldom Welcome screen was not top-most Skype window when launching Skype
· Few users saw their own video on both video preview and on incoming video area
· Fixed delayed video startup when user used Standard VGA adapter as display device
· Improved video smoothness on low quality network connection
December 14th, 2010Call Phones:
· Skype crashed on Call Phones area when user had more then one recently expired subscriptions
· Contact requests sent from Skype for Windows in Cyrillic letters were shown as "?" marks on incoming contact request view on Skype for Android
· Skype crashed on login for users who had two or more dots ("..") in their username in row.
· Full screen sharing selection was not updated when selecting second monitor for screen sharing
· Fixed the issues with Freetalk Everyman webcam and FaceVsion Touchcam N1 not going into HD video calling mode. Note! Camera firmware needs to be upgraded as-well, see instructions for Freetalk and FaceVsion.
April 29th, 2010
· Skype Access – access WiFi hotspots the easy way with your Skype Credit.
· Call transfer – transfer calls to a Skype contact or a mobile or landline.
· Updated call quality guide with pre-call soundcheck.
· Bug fixes.
February 25th, 2010Skype Access:
· Ever been in a café, airport or on a train, wanted to get online and had to fiddle around with credit cards and login details for WiFi networks? Or been in a situation where you want to make a quick Skype call or send a couple of emails, but didn't want to fork out for an hour's WiFi access?
· Here's the solution: Skype Access – pay by the minute for WiFi access using your Skype Credit with a single click.
· A little thing – but an important for many of you who use Skype in a small business environment. With Skype 4.2 Beta, you can transfer calls to one of your Skype contacts free of charge, or to a landline or mobile at our standard low rates. Many of you have requested this feature, and it’s a pleasure to bring it back.
· Also includes a number of bug fixes and a brand new Call Quality indicator to help you get the best calling experience possible. We've improved the way Skype works with the new taskbar and system tray in Windows 7, as well as made a number of improvements to the way we help people get up and running with Skype for the first time.
February 25th, 2010Getting Started:
· An interactive guide to using and setting up Skype
· Automated detection and setup of your audio and video devices
· Accessibility features / keyboard navigation (NEW)
· Free Skype-to-Skype calls
· Group audio conference calls
· Video calling
· Screen sharing (NEW)
· Improved audio quality
· Improved bandwidth usage for Audio and Video calls
· Call Forwarding
· Caller identification
· Calling Landline and Mobile Phones (SkypeOut)
· Online numbers - allowing anyone to call you on Skype from a normal telephone
· Skype Prime – call premium services
· Automated call quality indicator and assistance
Instant Messaging and SMS:
· Instant Messaging (IM) for one-to-one or group conversations
· Sending Files securely to other users of Skype
· Message notifications (tray alerts)
· Communicate with MySpace IM users
· Sending SMS (Text Messages) for one-to-one and groups
Contact and Conversation Management:
· Bigger profiles
· Easier to use participant lists for conversations
· Conversations tab to display your recent and new conversations
· History for calls and conversations, accessed via the Conversations tab
· User and Business recommendations directory
· Importing contacts from other address books (IMPROVED)
· Presence – see when others are online and change your own status
· Contact groups to manage your contact list
· Block and report abusive contact requests or spam
· Exchange contact details with a friend even when they are offline
· Birthday reminders (NEW)
· Send contacts to other users
· Default (single window) or Compact View (multiple windows)
· Edit your profile
· Change your profile picture
· Change sounds
Installation and upgrades:
· Light Installer download manager
· Automatic notification and download of new versions
Make the most out of Skype:
· Shop for Skype phones, headsets, webcams
· Pay-as-you-go or Subscriptions for our calling services
· Google Toolbar
· Skype browser plug-ins for Internet Explorer and Firefox
· Skype Extras (applications you can use with Skype)
· eBay Browser Highlighter
· Google Chrome browser.
April 2nd, 2008
· Focus on call quality: Major improvements in sound quality, which mean significantly reduced background noise, less delay, fewer call drops and cut-outs.
· Change devices easily: Change your headset, headphones or microphone without having to touch your settings.
February 1st, 2007
· Known issue: Skype Extras Manager displays error messages on launching some of the
· plug-ins under Windows' Limited User account
· bugfix: SkypePM.exe crashes on first start after installation
· bugfix: Russian language display problems in updater
· bugfix: Groups panel stayed open when user was changed
· bugfix: Contact list focus was lost when using some toolbar buttons
January 25th, 2007
· bugfix: Cannot send SMS from contact menu in Chat window
· bugfix: Updated Internet Explorer and Firefox plugins
· bugfix: ActiveX objects cannot be created in eBay tab
· bugfix: SkypeCheck did not work on clean 3.0 install
July 13th, 2006
· bugfix: on rare occasion Skype crashed on startup
· bugfix: there was an incorrect prefix auto added with predictive dialer when dialling US numbers
· bugfix: green button did not change to resume while call was on hold
· bugfix: in chat some PSTN numbers were not recognized
· bugfix: Skype crash on selecting country by flag in Edit My Profile dialog
· bugfix: API: In some cases app2app communication caused Skype crash
June 14th, 2006
· Easier to call ordinary phones
· Send SMS messages
· View and call Outlook contacts directly
· Buy Skype credit more easily