August 28th, 2012Animated GIFs and emoticons are turned off in software mode:
· If your PC uses software rendering instead of hardware rendering, you won't see any animations in Windows Essentials 2012.
· This includes animated GIFs used in display pictures and animated emoticons in Messenger.
Movie Maker and Photo Gallery must be installed together:
· Windows Movie Maker and Windows Photo Gallery can only be installed together because they share many features. That means that if you have an earlier version of either Movie Maker or Photo Gallery installed on your PC, you'll have both programs installed after you upgrade to the new versions.
Microsoft SkyDrive installed in place of Windows Live Mesh:
· If you have Windows Live Mesh installed, it's automatically removed when you install Windows Essentials 2012, and Microsoft SkyDrive will be installed in its place. To sync everything that's on your SkyDrive to all your PCs, and even on a Mac, you'll need to install SkyDrive on each computer.
· To learn how to continue syncing folders with SkyDrive that you used to sync with Windows Live Mesh, see the SkyDrive for Mesh users webpage. (You can do this after you install either Windows Essentials 2012 or SkyDrive.)
Windows Essentials 2012 doesn't include Messenger Companion:
· If you have Messenger Companion on your PC, it will be removed when you install Windows Essentials 2012. Messenger Companion is no longer supported and won't run in combination with Windows Essentials 2012.
April 9th, 2012
· Fixes the Messenger sign-in error "0x84cb000c" and the Messenger crash or hang when accepting/declining a pending invitation. When users click on photos are hosted on SkyDrive or Facebook, instead of using the Client Album Viewer to view the photos, a browser opens the web album viewer for that application.
October 1st, 2010You might remain in multiparty conversations after signing out:
· After signing out, you might remain in a multiparty IM conversation you were having with your friends, but your correct offline status will appear.
Video messages don't work correctly if Windows Media Player isn't installed (except on Windows Server 2008):
· When you receive a video message on a computer that doesn't have Windows Media Player installed, the video message playback window can't be opened. Instead, you see a notification that the message was received, and a new conversation window with a link to the video opens.
PC to SMS customers in Brazil and Korea won't see subscription status or the billing information toolbar button:
· In Messenger, we can't check the subscription status for PC to SMS customers in Brazil and Korea to see whether they can send text messages. If you don't have a subscription and try to send a text message, you won't see anything to indicate that you need a subscription. Your message won't be delivered, and you won't receive any notice that it wasn't delivered. This will be fixed soon. (If you have an active subscription, text messaging will work.)
Private SkyDrive videos don't play back in a slide show:
· If you upload a video to Windows Live SkyDrive from a top-level folder that has non-public permission and then play it in Messenger social view, the slide show fails to play the video back and you'll see the message: "A problem occurred while playing this video."
· As a workaround, you can open the video in the browser on SkyDrive to play it. From within a slide show you can get there by clicking View on SkyDrive in the upper left-hand corner. Alternatively, if you share your videos as public, you'll avoid the problem.
Customers in Japan can't edit the mobile email address field for SMS contacts from the Messenger contact list:
· All Edit contact links in Messenger now go to the contact list on the web. However, there is no support on the web to edit the mobile email address field used for SMS contacts in Japan. This will be fixed in a future release. You can continue to create new SMS contacts in Japan using the Add a contact command in Messenger. This issue doesn't affect editing SMS contacts in other countries or regions.
Messenger Companion is incorrectly labeled beta in some languages:
· Messenger Companion is incorrectly labeled a beta release in some languages. It's an error in labeling only and actually is the final release of the software.