Softpedia Editor's Review for COMODO Cleaning Essentials
Identify and remove malware and unsafe processes from infected computers
Written by Elena Opris on April 16th, 2013
COMODO Cleaning Essentials is a portable application that contains security tools for removing malicious agents from your computer system. It addresses users of all skill levels.
Since installation is not required, you can simply drop the program files on any location of the hard drive and run the executable file. Moreover, you can store COMODO Cleaning Essentials on a USB flash drive or similar storage unit, and run it on any computer.
The most important aspect is that no leftover items can be found in the Windows Registry or on the hard drive after removing the program. Also, you can keep COMODO Cleaning Essentials in your pocket whenever you're on the move.
Upon deployment, you are greeted by a modern window with a simple layout. COMODO Cleaning Essentials supports three scanning modes - Smart, Full or Custom. Smart Scan goes through only the critical areas of the system, including the MBR sector (Master Boot Record) and autorun entries.
In Custom Scan mode, you can select a drive, add files and/or folders, as well as include the memory, critical areas and boot sector, hidden Registry objects and services, together with hidden files and folders.
During the scanning task, you can view the currently scanned item's file path, total scanned objects and found threats, together with the start time and duration. Once it finishes, you may view details on each error and make COMODO Cleaning Essentials either repair or ignore it. A system reboot is required to finish the scanning procedure.
Another important feature of the program is represented by Kill Switch. This is a separate tool, which comes with its own executable file, that lets users monitor active processes and stop any potentially unsafe programs.
COMODO Cleaning Essentials uses a pretty high quantity of CPU and system memory, takes a reasonable amount of time to complete a task (depending on your hard drive's size) and has a good response time. It supports multiple GUI languages and can be set to log all activity to file.
No error dialogs have been shown in our tests and the application did not hang or crash. To conclude, COMODO Cleaning Essentials offers quick solutions when it comes to malware removal, and it should please most users who prefer a straightforward security tool.
COMODO Cleaning Essentials description
Here are some key features of "COMODO Cleaning Essentials":
· Classifies the threat level of all objects and processes currently loaded into memory and highlights those that are not trusted
· Allows the admin to terminate, delete or suspend every untrusted item with a single click.
· On-demand malware scanner quickly finds viruses, rootkits and hidden services
· Extremely efficient malware removal routines thoroughly disinfect virus stricken endpoints
· Detailed statistics and graphs allow admins to analyze and fine tune system activity to almost infinite levels of detail
· Leverages Comodo's huge whitelist database to accurately identify the trust status of every running process with minimal false positives
· Integration with Comodo cloud scanning technology delivers instant behavioral analysis of unknown processes
· Powerful system tools provide control over even the most obscure system settings
· Simple interface for admins to manage trusted vendors list
· Comprehensive event logs provide detailed overview of system activity on endpoint machines
· Quick repair feature allows fast restoration of important Windows settings
· Can replace the standard Windows Task Manager if required
· Another indispensable addition to admin's security toolkit to complement software such as Comodo Internet Security
· Lightweight – requires no installation and can be run right from a USB stick
· Intel Pentium II 233 MHz or equivalent processor
· 128 MB RAM
· 210 MB free disk space
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· NEW: Full support of Windows 8 Release Preview.
· FIXED: File signature is not recognized correctly in some cases.
· IMPROVED: Enhanced white list for system files.
· IMPROVED: Avoid false positive by enhanced trusted file verification.
· IMPROVED: CCE GUI can now be maximized.
· IMPROVED: Update virus signature before restart in full scan so that scan starts immediately after system starts up.