Softpedia Editor's Review for Dr.WEB CureIt!
Anti-virus and anti-spyware scanner based on the Dr.WEB engine
Written by Bogdan Popa on December 17th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Dr.WEB CureIt!
Dr. Web CureIt! is, just like its name suggests, an application designed to cure your computer and clean the infected files, regardless if we're talking about spyware or viruses.
One of the greatest things about this downloadable software is that it doesn't need to be installed. There are three scanning modes available, 'Express', 'Complete' and 'Custom', with a short explanation provided in the right panel right in the main window.
The 'Express' mode for example will scan the random access memory, boot sectors of all disks, startup objects, boot disk root directory, root Windows folder, Windows system folder, user documents folder, system temporary folder and user temporary folder.
It's being delivered as an executable file that needs just a double click to be launched which, in some cases, is the only viable solution. Viruses and spyware are often trying to block installation of new antiviruses and security software, so this is indeed a major advantage.
During our test, the scanning process took a while, especially when we gave the complete scan mode a spin, but this way we got sure that the whole computer was entirely clean.
The application isn't too heavy on computer resources, so scanning the drives and working on your machine at the same time isn't a problem at all, although we won't recommend that until the scanning process comes to an end.
All in all, Dr. Web CureIt! is the kind of tool that struggles to impress, but there's still a lot of work to do. Permanent protection is mandatory for such a tool, while a modern interface and stylish look is likely to attract many more users.
Dr.WEB CureIt! description
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· A new scanning subsystem that can scan computer disks in a multithreaded mode to fully benefit from multi-core processors.
· Significant increase in the scanning speed.
· Greatly enhanced stability of the program virtually eliminates the possibility of BSOD ("blue screen of death") during the scanning.
· Completely redesigned user interface.
· Rootkit search subsystem.
· Advanced custom scan features that allow to scan a computer memory, boot sectors, startup objects, etc.
· An option to block a network connection during the scanning.
· An option to shut down an operating system as soon as the scanning is complete.
· Scanning a PC BIOS for "bioskits" — malicious programs infecting a PC BIOS.
· Native quarantine manager.
· Block low-level file operations.
· Supported Windows 8.