Softpedia Editor's Review for Immunet (formerly Immunet Protect)
The next step in Anti-Malware protection
Written by Mihaela Citea on December 28th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Immunet (formerly Immunet Protect)
Immunet Protect is designed to bring an extra layer of protection to your computer by trying to detect potential threats alongside your permanent antivirus solution.
The main characteristic of this cloud-based security tool is that it relies heavily on the Immunet Community, which gains new members every day. The information it gathers about the online threats from the cloud and the community is designed to keep your computer safe and virus-free.
The interface is well-organized and comprises three columns that allow you to access the Immunet Community (displays the local community graph and notices), view the protection summary and access the product settings. The 'Computer' column is where you can view the activity summary, access the quarantine section and start a new scan.
There are three scanning options that you can choose from. The 'Flash Scan' only verifies the running processes, while selecting 'Full Scan' checks the entire computer for potential threats. You can also scan user-defined locations using the 'Custom Scan' option.
The application is based on three detection engines, ETHOS, SPERO and ClamAV, designed to provide you with real-time protection. If any possible malicious or suspicious running process, applications or files are identified, it automatically moves them to the Quarantine section, but you can also set it to prompt you for action.
Immunet Protect can scan archive and packed files, as well as verify newly installed applications. Scan scheduler, protection exclusions and tray notifications are other advantages that this software comes with.
In addition to this, it does not need a large amount of system resources and enabling the 'Game Mode' ensures that your gaming session runs without interruptions.
Immunet Protect is an easy to use community-based protection tool that can isolate the threats it detects on your system. However, it is only recommended as a companion antivirus and can be used by those who feel that their current security solution is just not enough.
Immunet (formerly Immunet Protect) description
Here are some key features of "Immunet (formerly Immunet Protect)":
· Protection leverages the speed of cloud computing to deliver real-time protection to your PC. Stay protected against over 13 million viruses and thousands of new threats daily without ever downloading another virus detection file again. Simply stay connected to the Immunet Cloud to keep all virus detections up to date.
· Immunet Protect FREE is ideal for consumers who want fast protection that doesn't slow down their PC, including students, families, and netbook users.
Small and Light:
· Footprint is up to 35 times lighter than traditional antivirus solutions. Immunet's low disk and memory use won't weigh down your PC unlike other solutions.
· Existing antivirus products take up between 100mb and 350mb of disk space, and Immunet is lighter than all of them with only 10mb of hard disk space required.
· Protection allows you to give protection to your friends for FREE. Immunet Protect is the first antivirus application created to protect your community and social network. Easily add people to the Immunet Community and view their protection status online.
· Real-time Detection from the Immunet Cloud against viruses, spyware, bots, worms, trojans, and keyloggers without downloading any virus signature files. Stay protected with Collective Immunity and intelligent virus detection technology that doesn't slow down your PC.
· Companion Antivirus means that Immunet is compatible with existing antivirus solutions. Immunet adds an extra, lightweight layer of protection for greater peace of mind. Since traditional antivirus solutions detect on average only 50% of online threats, most users are underprotected, which is why every PC can benefit from Immunet's essential layer of security.
Strength in Numbers:
· Collective Immunity technology leverages the shared intelligence on threats gathered within the Immunet Cloud. Immunet's virus detection technology continuously improves with each new user who installs Immunet Protect. When Immunet detects a threat on one user's PC, that threat is blocked from harming all users in the Immunet Community simultaneously, giving all Immunet users shared immunity against computer viruses.
· Intelligent Scans effectively detect and remove viruses, bots, worms, trojans, keyloggers and spyware, thanks to the power of collective intelligence and the Immunet Cloud.
Choose from several scan options:
· Flash Scan (Process and Registry)
· Custom Scan (Specific Files and Directories)
· Full System Scan
· 300MHz or faster processor
· 256MB of RAM
· 10 MB of available hard disk space
· A working Internet connection
· Internet Explorer 7 or greater
· Firefox 3 or greater
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed Immunet using high CPU usage and Disk IO after completing a full scans or installing a large application.
· A new "Send file metadata for analysis" option has been added to the the Community Settings. This feature helps Immunet determine when applications have become infected by new types of previously unseen malware.
· Memory leak fixes for long running agents.
· IPtray (GUI) typo and crash fixes.
· Fixed a case where the Spero Engine could fail to initialize correctly.
· Fixed a bug where running on domains could cause Immunet to re-register with the Cloud.