Softpedia Editor's Review for Microsoft Security Essentials
No cost, no hassle security software for your PC
Written by Bogdan Popa on January 14th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Microsoft Security Essentials
Developed by the same company that created the popular Windows operating system, Microsoft Security Essential is an antivirus solution meant to keep malicious files away from the computer, offering all the other tools typically integrated within similar products.
At first glance, Microsoft Security Essentials might seem a pretty basic and simple solution that is not able to provide better protection than one of the many freebies out there. Fact of the matter is that MSE is quite the opposite in this respect, since it just as effective as any other top antivirus products out there.
It comes with easy and fast installation, very fast scanning processes and amazingly quick updates delivered to one's computer as fast as they are released by the team over at the Redmond-based software manufacturer.
Regarding its user interface, Microsoft Security Essentials does not bring anything new to the table. It is well organized and clean though, helping users get their scanning jobs done within minutes. The GUI is somewhat of a proof that the strength of a antivirus solution does not particularly rely on its looks, but rather on its efficiency.
There are three built-in scanning modes, Quick, Full and Custom, and each user can choose the mode they prefer. The additional tools help users stay on the safe side, featuring real-time protection and virus definitions updates, as well as dedicated utilities to select the files and processes that need to be excluded from scan.
Overall, Microsoft Security Essentials is easy to install, fast and clean, it runs quietly in the background and it updates periodically to ensure computer protection.
Microsoft Security Essentials description
Here are some key features of "Microsoft Security Essentials":
· Comprehensive malware protection
· Simple, free download
· Automatic updates
· Easy to use
· For XP - CPU with clock speed of 500 MHz or higher
· For XP - Memory: 256 MB RAM or higher
· For Vista / W7 - CPU with clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher
· For Vista / W7 - Memory: 1 GB RAM or higher
· VGA (Display): 800 x 600 or higher
· Storage: 140 MB of available hard-disk space
· An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Microsoft Security Essentials
· Internet Browser (IE or Firefox)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Enhanced protection through automatic malware remediation: The Beta program will clean highly impacting malware infections automatically, with no required user interaction.
· Enhanced performance: The Beta includes many performance improvements to make sure your PC performance isn’t compromised.
· Simplified UI – Simplified UI makes Microsoft Security Essentials Beta easier to use.
· New and improved protection engine: The updated engine offers enhanced detection with cleanup capabilities and better performance.