Softpedia Editor's Review for TrojanHunter
This program searches for and removes trojans from your system
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 13th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for TrojanHunter
TrojanHunter is a security solution that searches and removes Trojan infections from your computer, offering at the same time a dedicated feature to provide real-time protection.
The application provides three different scanning modes, full, quick and custom. While the first can take even a few hours, the quick mode gets the job done in under a minute, thus providing a quick overview on your computer's security level.
Just as expected, TrojanHunter also comprises a separate feature to schedule scans and thus search for Trojan horses starting a user-defined time.
While the update tool makes sure that you're using the latest virus definitions, the database even provides a glimpse into the list of Trojans the application detects, with a search feature to find a given name on the go.
The “Settings” menu is not complicated, allowing you to pick the objects you wish to scan, including ZIP files, RAR, CAP and binded executables.
On the other hand, the TrojanHunter Guard sits silently in the System Tray and protects your computer at all times, being able to automatically remove Trojans and protect the system against unauthorized shutdowns.
Although the full scan mode takes such a high amount of time, TrojanHunter remains friendly with computer resources. However, it's still recommended to close the other running apps before initiating a new scan.
All in all, TrojanHunter is a useful solution and it deserves a chance to prove what it's up to despite its pretty hefty price.
Here are some key features of "TrojanHunter":
· High-speed file scan engine capable of detecting modified trojans
· Memory scanning for detecting any modified variant of a particular build of a trojan
· Registry scanning for detecting traces of trojans in the registry
· Inifile scanning for detecting traces of trojans in configuration files
· Port scanning for detecting open trojan ports
· The Advanced Trojan Analyzer, an exclusive feature of TrojanHunter, is able to find whole classes of trojans using advanced scanning techniques
· TrojanHunter Guard for resident memory scanning - detect any trojans if they manage to start up
· LiveUpdate utility for effortless ruleset updating via the Internet
· Process list giving details about every running process on the system, including the path to the actual executable file
· Accurate removal of all detected trojans - even if they are running or if the trojan has injected itself into another process
· Built-in netstat viewer
· Extensive help files
· Free technical support via e-mail
· 30 days trial
· nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved bug reporting
· Fixed a problem where the presence of NTFS alternate data streams attached to directories was not being reported
· Improved deletion of alternate data streams (now correctly removes directories and is also able to delete specific alternate data streams as opposed to all alternate data streams associated with a file)
· THCL: Now states "No trojans found" or "%d trojans found" in scan report
· THCL: Copyright year updated
· Fixed bug causing exception if scanner was closed when a right-click scan was running
· Added "A scan is running. Exit anyway?" confirmation if user tries to close scanner when a scan is running.
· Fixed bug where TrojanHunter was not scanning shortcut files correctly when doing a right-click scan.
· Fixed problem with right-click scanning RAR files not working