Softpedia Editor's Review for VIPRE Antivirus
Finally Antivirus Software That Won't Slow Down Your PC!
Written by Elena Opris on November 26th, 2012
VIPRE Antivirus is a powerful security system that protects your computer against viruses and other Internet-based attacks.
The installation process takes several minutes, and the user interface of the program is easy to navigate through. In the main window you can view the current scan status (last scan, next scheduled scan), protection status (active protection, email protection), and updates (automatic updates, definitions).
Scanning can be done in three modes - quick scan (checks for risks in common locations), deep scan (in-depth scan of all computer files), or custom scan (scan specific files and folders, as well as enable scans on running programs, Windows registry entries, cookies, inside specific archives, scans for rootkits, and others).
Furthermore, you can manage history, quarantine, blocked risks, allowed risks, but you can also schedule scans.
VIPRE Antivirus also features a Tools section where you can eliminate any traces of files from your computer in a secure manner, keep your privacy by removing browsing and search history, but where you can also view computer settings that are normally hidden.
Active Protection is a feature that supervises your computer in real-time. It blocks malicious agents before they infiltrate into your system, notifies you of any known risks that are blocked or quarantined, and checks files when they are opened or copied (with the possibility of selecting the file formats you want to monitor).
Plus, you can enable or disable email protection and anti-phishing, but also use FirstScan (a cleaner that runs at system startup).
In conclusion, VIPRE Antivirus is an efficient security system that completes a thorough scan on your computer while using a low amount of system memory.
VIPRE Antivirus description
Here are some key features of "VIPRE Antivirus":
VIPRE Antivirus core engine:
The heart of VIPRE Antivirus is its core engine, which is used in all of VIPRE Antivirus's protection methods—email protection, real-time protection, and scans. The core engine works at detecting and removing malware with three layers of detection:
· Signature detection is when an exact match is detected against a known good or bad (malware) file. Bad files are immediately blocked to ensure that your computer is not infected; good files are allowed.
· Heuristic detection is characteristic detection. Heuristics look for known bad patterns inside a file. For example, let's say that a new variation of an existing malware program is released. VIPRE already knows characteristics of the existing file. So, it can use that information to catch the new variation.
· Behavior detection looks at how a program actually behaves. For example, many malware programs do predictable things to your computer system, such as change your homepage on your browser or insert certain information on your computer.
Security Risk Database:
· The security risk database contains definitions of known threats and known goods—often referred to as the whitelist and blacklist. The three detection methods use definitions, of which are constantly being updated by SunbeltLabs™ with the help of ThreatNet. For VIPRE Antivirus to be effective in keeping your computer free from malware, it is important that the frequent updates are downloaded.
· Generally, a scan consists of VIPRE Antivirus reading your computer's drive(s), determining what is a threat, and then either removing or quarantining that threat. The scope of a scan can be customized to target specific areas or files on your computer and can be triggered various ways, including manually and automatically at scheduled times.
· Scans are performed based on the VIPRE Antivirus and MX-Virtualization engines.
VIPRE Antivirus engine:
· VIPRE Antivirus (Virus Intrusion Protection Remediation Engine) is uniquely designed to reduce computer frustration with its low system resource usage, faster boot times, few popups, and a broad-range of detection and remediation of viruses, trojans, worms, and spyware.
· MX (Malware Execution)-Virtualization is a new heuristic detection technique for finding malware by running a suspect program in a controlled setting (emulated environment) that is isolated from doing any harm to the PC. This emulated environment uses only a small amount of memory and mimics many core Windows functions, such as the Windows registry, file system, and communications interfaces to see what the malware is trying to do.
· The actions of the malware are then analyzed for behavioral characteristics common to malware. By analyzing malware in this fashion, VIPRE Antivirus is able to detect many types of malware without the necessity of creating a constant stream of dedicated unpackers and signatures for each variant of a piece of malware.
· Active Protection (AP) is a real-time method for detecting malware. AP sits quietly in the background as you work or browse the Internet, constantly monitoring files that are executed (run) without causing noticeable strain to your system.
· Email Protection is a behind-the-scenes tool that protects your computer from potentially harmful inbound and outbound email messages. As long as you have email protection enabled, your computer is protected with automatic email scanning of all attachments for malware and viruses without you having to do anything.
· When an infected email attachment is detected, VIPRE Antivirus will attempt to clean it, ridding the attachment of its infection. If the infection is so severe that it cannot be cleaned, the entire attachment is quarantined. VIPRE Antivirus notifies you of detections and any actions that may be required by you.
· FirstScan is a cleaner that runs at boot time (when your computer is booting up/turning on). This proprietary technology bypasses the Windows operating system to remove malicious hidden processes, threats, modules, services, files, Alternate Data Streams (ADS), rootkits, and registry keys on your computer. FirstScan does not run every time you start your computer; instead, it is only triggered by a locked malware file during the cleaning after a scan.
· ThreatNet is a worldwide network of thousands of CounterSpy, VIPRE Antivirus, and VIPRE Antivirus Premium users sharing and identifying potentially dangerous program files (both through manual submissions and automatically), resulting in the blocking of new malware almost as quickly as it is released into the wild. ThreatNet also enables Sunbelt Software to track new outbreaks and compile statistical information.
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
· CPU: 1GHz
· RAM: 512MB
· Hard disk space: 300MB
· Internet access for Threat Definitions updates (Broadband recommended)
· 2x (speed) CD-ROM or faster, if you are having the CD shipped to you (not necessary for online download)
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Implemented changes to support new software update installation
· method which will be used for VIPRE 5.0.
· Various performance and reliability enhancements.
· Temporarily removed email notation options.
| ||Softpedia guarantees that VIPRE Antivirus 2013 6.0.5449 / 184.108.40.206 Beta is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |