Softpedia Editor's Review for eScan Anti-Virus
This is a Desktop Anti-Virus and Content Security software
Written by Bogdan Popa on April 16th, 2013
eScan Anti-Virus is an all-in-one security solution that provides an antivirus tool to protect your computer against viruses and other types of infections, as well as a firewall and an anti-spam utility to help you stay on the safe side.
While the interface is easy to navigate, it may take a while to set up every single feature that's bundled into the app. An eye-candy dock-like bar allows you to switch from file antivirus to mail antivirus, anti-spam or firewall with just a single click, but each of these tools come with its very own pack of settings.
There are five scanning modes at your disposal, including a scheduler, so you can conduct scans at a user-defined time and date. The logs allow you to easily find out if there's something wrong with your system.
Obviously, the application features an auto-update tool, which means the latest virus definitions land on your computer as soon as they are released by the developer.
The so-called “Email Antivirus” blocks malicious files delivered via email; it can be configured to block certain attachment types, with specific port settings. You can archive emails or attachments and forward suspicious messages to a configured address. This feature only works with Outlook Express and Windows Mail.
The firewall keeps an eye on network traffic and allows you to block certain applications that may connect to the Internet. Of course, this utility shows a detailed report on network activity, so any suspicious process can be easily blocked with just a single click.
Unfortunately, eScan Anti-Virus is not at all friendly with computer resources and it seems to seriously slow down the system, especially when performing a scan. Windows needs more time to boot, while eScan Anti-Virus starts its processes in more than ten seconds.
As a conclusion, eScan Anti-Virus is a useful solution, but not if you don't have a truly powerful system. Otherwise, you may end up staring at the screen while the application scans your files because the computer becomes unresponsive.
eScan Anti-Virus description
Here are some key features of "eScan Anti-Virus":
Simple user friendly GUI for easy access:
· eScan provides you with a user friendly graphical user interface that is designed to suit the needs of both the novice and expert users. This GUI offers a single screen access to both the Virus Monitor and the On Demand Scanner.
Search, surf and browse the Internet without any worry:
· eScan provides the proactive scan feature that warns you about any changes that takes place in the registry. It also notifies you about any applications which are suspicious in nature.
Access the Internet round the clock without fear:
· eScan provides a two-way inbuilt firewall that monitors both the incoming & outgoing network activities in the system and safeguards the computer from network based attacks.
Scan faster without slowing down your system’s speed:
· eScan’s new On-Demand Scanner is equipped with the Cache technology that scans faster and is lighter on system resources. It also scans USB drives, Spyware and Adware.
Fearlessly send/receive mails, share files, download files:
· eScan does real-time virus scanning of files, applications, emails, email attachments and websites using the MicroWorld Winsock Layer (MWL) technology and Heuristic Algorithms.
Multi-level protection against latest threats:
· eScan provides multi-level protection from Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Spyware and many more Information Security threats using various technologies such as Application Control, MWL Technology, NILP Technology, Endpoint Security, Domain Blacklisting, Firewall, etc.
Continuous protection against latest threats:
· Automatic hourly program as well as definition updates to protect against zero day threats.
Experts available round the clock to solve your queries:
· We provide round the clock free telephonic and online technical support
· Processor: 450 MHZ (1 GHz recommended)
· RAM: 512 MB (1GB recommended)
· Display: High-color display with a resolution of 640x480 pixels or higher recommended)
· Internet Explorer 7.0 or above
· Hard Disk: 750 MB of Free Space
· 30 Days Trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Installation: Updated phrases.txt added.
· MailAdm - "View quarantined messages" option added in Content Admin.
· MailAdm - Facility to quarantine unscanned att and mails having unscanned att, provided
· Management Console: Facility given for deploying setup and rule-sets to clients not having TCPIP protocol.
· *.MWT added to AVPDOS32 exclusion list
· Added popfileib.exe to include.dat and two files to exclude.dat
· eScan not send adv. disclaimer if license key is permanent.
· Updater : Schedule Download invokes download twice - resolved
· eScan reports to WSC for Monitor status and updates in XP SP2.
· Scan outgoing mails and scan incoming mails options added in mailadm.
· MailAdm - Option given in Content Admin to selectively forward/change headers/subject to end-user, for mails tagged as spam.
· Added icons and version for all executables.
· Any changes is made in content/webscanning Administrator ask, "please enable email/web scanning in eScan updater for changed to take effect", if email/w...